Someone to trust

Not written by me! Credit to bexOrz on archive of our own.

This one doesn't contain smut but it's a super cute fluff and honestly I cried a little (a lot) at the ending. But it was tears of joy ;-;

~

New York on a hot summer evening was an uncomfortable place to be. All day long, folks had been wandering around in as little clothing as they could get away with. They had hats on, they carried icy drinks that sweated in the heat. That was mostly the tourists, flaunting that they didn't have anything better to do than take advantage of New York's progressive topless laws.

Being stuck indoors working a crowded office was decidedly not pleasant. It was even worse when the air conditioning in Peter's apartment had suffered an unfortunate accident shortly after he got home. The unit had rattled, spit out its last blast of partially-cooled air, and then died. With the poor window placement, there was no way for the old fans he owned to circulate the more breathable atmosphere outside into the apartment properly. The only reasonable solution was to stay outside, and try to catch whatever bit of breeze that he could.

Statistically speaking, criminals were less likely to be active on such a miserable evening, so it was a fair bet that the city could survive without Spider-Man for one night. Peter could afford to take some time for himself.

Peeling out of his sweaty work shirt and pants, Peter tossed them into the hamper. He shuffled through the pile of clean clothes on the corner of his bed—which he hadn't bothered folding for three days—looking for a tank top and shorts that he wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen wearing in public. Not that the roof of his building was really public; it didn't have easy access. Only building residents used it.

He'd just slid the waistband of his shorts up over his angular hips when he heard his phone go off in the other room. Too hot and exhausted to flip around the apartment like he normally would, he simply walked over and picked it up. He had new texts from Wade.

::Hey P what up?::

::Hot enough???? [Nervous emoji] [water drops]::

Peter laughed and gave a little snort.

::Yeah. I'm going up to the roof to cool off.:: he typed back.

::Oh that's perf brt::

Not two seconds after Peter's phone went off again, there was a solid knock at his door. It was insistent, repetitive, and rhythmic. That more than anything identified the person on the other side. Of course it was Wade.

Throwing the door open, Peter smirked at Wade standing there in a tshirt and flip flops. The tshirt had a Minecraft creeper surrounded by explosion marks and rubber ducks printed on it. "Did you walk the whole way like that?" he said. It was surprising that he would. Wade didn't like to bare that much of his ugly skin at one time, Peter thought.

"Well they wouldn't let me on the bus with this!" Wade held up a styrofoam cooler, which squeaked in protest as the handle strained against the lid.

"Yeah, I bet." Peter raised an eyebrow. "Would you get your ass in here and shut that door?"

"You bet, Petey," Wade grinned, danced into the room and kicked the door shut behind him. With a thud, he dropped the cooler to the floor and rushed in, wrapping an arm around Peter's shoulders and pressing a quick kiss to his lips. "I missed you~"

Peter coughed and pretended to be flustered and irritated at the attention. Actually, he had missed Wade too, but he wasn't going to tell him that. He'd been out of town on Spider-Man business for a couple of weeks, only returning the day before. He had arrived home just in time for the heat wave, as it happened.