You Mean A Lot To Me

Credit to Etilevram on deviant art.

~

"I'm sleepy."

"But it's not even midnight yet, you gotta wait for the surprise!"

"But Wade, I'm tired."

Peter rubbed at his eyes, blinking drowsily as Wade tugged at his friend's hand, pleading for him to stay awake. They cut through the backyards and into the field ahead, the clear dark sky illuminated by the stars above them. Peter heaved a sigh and allowed Wade to lead him up the slope and to the top of the hill.

"Where are we going? What surprise?" Peter asked once again. Wade finally stopped, turning to grin excitedly at his friend.

"Wait and see! Me and Weasel have been workin' hard to get it right. See, he knows a few people who helped me out for this special occasion," the child chirped. Peter's eyebrows furrowed.

"What special occasion?"

Wade's gaze grew soft as he held the boy's hands. "This is the day we met, Petey. When we became friends. Remember?"

Peter's brown eyes widened in recollection and he grinned happily. "Oh yeah! And you were scared of the fireworks, and I held your hand," he giggled. Wade's smile was gentle.

"Now it's my turn," he murmured, hands grasping Peter's as sparks suddenly shot through the air and above their heads. Peter gasped and stared at the sky, watching as a beautiful display of fireworks exploded before him. His grip on Wade tightened, though his grin never faltered.

They watched and listened, both silent silhouettes against the exploding rays of the fireworks and the great shine of the full moon. As the show came to a close, Peter glanced back down at Wade, expression joyful.

"Wade, that was amazing!" he cried gleefully. Wade beamed, happy to have pleased his Petey.

"I just wanted to make sure you understood how special you are to me," he replied simply, staring his friend in the eyes, his gaze affectionate.  "You mean a lot to me, Peter."

Peter felt the tears threatening to break through. Wade did all of this for him. He went through all the trouble to make sure he felt loved. Well, Peter feels it, alright. He lunged forward and wrapped his arms around Wade, burying his face in his friend's neck. "You mean a lot to me, too, Wade," he whispered. "More than you know."

Wade pressed his cheek against Peter's temple. "Oh don't you worry, Petey," he said softly. "I know."