Iris

Credit to Etilevram on deviant art.

~

Peter Parker. The name sighed sweetly in Wade's head, and a tight smile caught onto his lips. He crossed his arms over his chest, hugging himself against the harsh rain as he exited school. It was around 4 in the afternoon, seeing as he had to stay after school for skipping a class. Which meant he didn't get to peek on his crush, Peter Parker, who Wade always found sitting on the same bench in Central Park, reading a book, or doing homework. Wade never plucked up the courage to go over and sit next to him or start a conversation. Too risky. Besides, he enjoyed watching Peter sit there, eyebrows furrowed in concentration, biting his lower lip, or even licking them. A shiver tingled Wade's spine at the thought, and he didn't care if he was sounding creepy at all. He couldn't help it.

Honestly, Wade would love being able to touch Peter. He's never really gotten the chance... Well, except for that one time when Wade was walking through the cafeteria and accidentally bumped into him. Peter stuttered in embarrassment, apologizing quickly before shoving his face back into what looked like a calculus book. What a nerd. Well... an adorable nerd. He had been so cute when he glanced up from his studies, face flushed as he locked eyes with Wade, who was blinking down at him, heart racing. Wade let a sigh escape him over the pounding of the rain. You'd think he should go home for shelter, but he didn't want to. He never wanted to go home.

Wade reached Central Park, and he immediately headed for his usual spot in the grass with a perfect view of the bench Peter always sat on. But, as Wade had suspected, the adorable nerd wasn't there. Wade's shoulders slumped in disappointment, until he heard a surprised yelp and a small splash. He glanced up, frowning in puzzlement, trying to locate where the noise had come from. The rain was making this difficult.

He spotted a teen smaller than him on his hands and knees at the edge of the river that ran through the park. He was clutching, in one hand, a thick book. The other arm was stretched out above the water, and Wade could now see a backpack floating and sloshing just out of his reach. The teen let out a distressed groan as he scooted dangerously closer, trying to grab his backpack. Wade stood up, preparing to go over and help the guy when he saw the teen's knees slip in the mud, thanks to the goddamn rain. He fell into the river with a terrified cry, and Wade instinctively dashed forward, to the river. His eyes widened as he searched through the crashing ripples, and thunder pounded above him. The rain was pelting down harder down, soaking his clothes to his skin.

Wade's heart thumped fast in his chest as panic overwhelmed him. Where was he? All he could see were the clashing ripples ripping against the downpour. Suddenly, Wade spotted a head bounce out of the water, mouth open as he gasped for breath, only to suck in the waves. Wade slipped off his sweatshirt, bracing himself as he, without hesitating, dove in. Of course he knew how to swim. He had learned when his dad tossed him in a pool and shouted, "Swim!" It was pretty easy, but this kid obviously had no clue. Wade reached him right as his head was shoved under the water, but Wade slipped his arm around his waist and, with all his strength, pulled. He managed to finally touch the bank, but it took a lot of effort. He then let out a grunt as he hauled both him and the teen onto the soggy grass.

He lay there for a moment, gasping for breath as he too had inhaled some water. But not as much as this poor guy. He glanced down at his damsel in distress and realized with a jolt that it was Peter! His dear Peter Parker. Wade's heart thumped against his rib cage as he just sat there in shock. He had saved Peter Parker, but what would have happened if he hadn't? Wade's breathing increased, and he forced himself to calm down. He blinked down at the soaked teen. Why wasn't he awake yet? Wade frowned, leaning over him. With a sickening realization, the blond noticed Peter wasn't breathing.