Chapter Eighteen: Little White Lies

"This is also the first time he's ever looked at my face and told me a white lie

"This is also the first time he's ever looked at my face and told me a white lie." -Zamzam Amin, IASWAD.
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Little White Lies

Adam Mathews

By now my mind was swarming with all sorts of questions that needed answers. My whole entire body grew rigid as I held the last letter my mother sent in my hands tightly. I always knew my dad was messed up but I never thought he was dangerous. I never thought he'd be the type of person to try to kill someone or even the type who dealt drugs. This whole entire time I didn't know I was living with a monster. A monster who wears a suit and carries a briefcase, acting like he owns everyone. A monster who lies and smiles menacingly while he stabs you in he back. A monster who kept the mother of his son, his wife away from her family. A monster who's room is only a couple of doors away from mine. I'm related to someone like him...

Once I grabbed my phone I took pictures of the letters then after I finished, I put them back where they were before. Whatever the cost may be, I will make sure he pays for all of the pain he caused.

* * *

I continued to pace back and forth in my room until Jennette came inside looking worried. "Adam are you okay?" She questioned worriedly. "How long did my father say he'd be gone?" I avoided her question by asking one of my own. "For another 3 months." She replied hastily as if questioning what I'd do with this information. "Are you okay?" She repeated this time more intent on getting an answer.

I quickly grabbed my jacket and car keys. "I'm fine." I said as I left my house and headed towards my car. I need to tell Isa and Amir about this. The person we've been targeting is nothing compared to what we're up against. This is bad, really bad.

By the time I reached Isa's house there was more than a dozen cars in their drive way. Grabbing out my phone, I dialled his number. When he didn't pick up I called him again and again until I got frustrated and headed inside. The moment I did I could hear people laughing and some foreign music plugged into a stereo. So this is how family gathering are supposed to be like... People gathered around talking, having fun. I never experienced anything like this before. The only Uncle I have hates my father and doesn't want to have a relationship with him or me and my mom was an only child. I've always wanted a big happy family like this but I guess that will never happen.

"Hey Adam, what're you doing here bro?" Isa said as he clapped his hand on my back. "I have to talk to you now. It's important." I demanded as I dragged him outside.

"What's wrong?" He questioned worriedly.

"I just found out that my father is the big dealer in Avon's gang. That's why we couldn't find anything on him." I ran my hand through my hair while walking back and forth.