Chapter Twenty Nine: Confrontation

"I realized that I don't care why he did anything

"I realized that I don't care why he did anything." -Adam Mathews, IASWAD.
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: Confrontation

Zamzam Amin

I stared at him wide eyed, completely mortified of what I just did. I'm so clumsy like seriously I should get an award for the amount of times I've spilt something on someone by accident. I looked down at his shirt which was now completely smeared with chocolate ice cream. "I am so sorry." I apologized once again.

"It's fine, gotta love your clumsiness." He let out a half grin as he grabbed some tissues from the closest table. How could he be so cool about this? The dude literally looks like he has poop on his shirt! "Zamzam?" Isa looked at me with widened eyes. He then looked at Aliyah and Fatima who were staring at the situation in shock. "What're you guys doing here?"

"Getting food. What else?"

"Oh my gosh is that Isa? You're so big now!" Fatima gushed making Isa look embarrassed. I could tell because his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. "I'm not a baby Fatima. But it's nice to see you," He said, still looking embarrassed. "I'm going to wash this off." Adam said as he started walking towards the restroom. Dang it now I feel really bad. Why do I have to be so clumsy all the time?

I continued to walk to the girls restroom to wash my hands before I came back to order my food. By the time I did, Adam was already sitting where the rest of the guys were, still smiling and having a good time. I know at first I thought it was weird that Isa and Adam were friends but now I'm glad they are. I mean my brother has done more good for him than I have.

I guess I was staring at their table for too long because Aliyah kept on snapping her fingers in front of my face to catch my attention. "What?" I asked, grabbing my menu. "You shouldn't stare, Zam." She gave me the shame signal. Instead of replying, I called the waitress and we ordered our food.

* * *

"Here," I walked up to Adam's locker and brought out a book. He gave me a questioning look before he grabbed the book out of my hands. "This is the English Translation of the Quran." I looked at the book fondly. Words can't describe how much it means to me, that's why I'm giving it to him. "It was my Grandpa's, he gave it to me when I was little and now I want you to have it. I accidentally overheard you asking Isa questions about Islam so I want to help you if you're interested."

I felt a pang in my chest as I pictured my grandfather. I remember his smile, his contagious laughter and how he always gave the warmest of hugs. He gave me that copy of the Quran as a birthday present when I turned ten years old. Ever since then I've carried it around with me not only because it was my favourite copy of the Quran that I own, but it felt like I was carrying a bit of Gramps with me.