Chapter Twelve

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 12

What?” I screeched, wrinkling my nose in disgust. “Are you serious? Why do I have to do it with him? Can’t it be with Jake? Or Savannah? Or even the Creeper?” 

I called the creepy man who played my father the Creeper. His name was actually John Wahlam, but that just wasn’t as amusing as the Creeper. 

My manager, Lily Kasser, who I’d taken a liking to right from the moment I was introduced to her a few days ago, looked amused as she answered. “You know why, Sophia. He’s your leading man. It only makes sense that he does it with you.” 

I had been afraid my manager would be someone I couldn’t stand, but luckily, Lily was easy to get along with and she was great at her job. Plus, she was patient with me and didn’t get mad when I protested—which was often, admittedly. There was too much publicity involved and too much of it involved Christian. I couldn’t help myself.   

I groaned loudly. “Why do people keep saying that? Isn’t there some other way of saying it? I hate it. ‘Leading man.’ ‘Leading lady.’ Gross.” 

She chuckled as she considered it. “No, I don’t think so…” she trailed of, mulling it over for a moment more. 

“Do I have to do this?” I whined, sounding a lot like the kind of girls that annoyed me all of a sudden. I complained a lot, yes, but I didn’t whine like Tori often did. There was a difference! 

“Yes, Sophia, you do. But don’t think of it as a bad thing,” Lily said, putting an arm around me as she led me to my trailer. “Being on Janet Wilde is a great thing. It’s an honor. How many girls your age can say they were invited onto that show?”

“I am honored,” I told her, and I was being honest. I really was honored. I was used to watching that show with Tori back in the day, not being featured on it. This was amazing. “And I do think it’s great. I’d just rather not have to do it with Christian.” 

“I’m sorry, but it’s too late to change that, anyways,” she said with a grimace. “I couldn’t even if I tried. The announcements have already been made and there are millions of Christian Ryder fans and Kidnap My Heart fans that are anxiously awaiting this.” 

I sighed in defeat. “Darn it.” 

“Oh, and speaking of this… Frank told me to tell you he needs to speak with you.” 

“Frank?” I repeated, puzzled. “Who’s Frank?” 

“Frank Renaldo, Christian’s manager,” Lily clarified.

“Oh!” I cried, the light bulb in my head flickering. “I remember him now. Well, I’ve never actually met him, but I remember that Christian mentioned him.” 

Lily nodded. “Let’s head over to Christian’s trailer to see what Frank needed to talk about,” she suggested, motioning for me to follow her. 

“Fine, I guess.” 

I didn’t really want to go over there. I had a feeling that whatever Frank Renaldo wanted to discuss with me wasn’t going to be pleasant. It would probably have something to do with Christian, since Frank was his manager. Anything to do with Christian was always unpleasant for me.

I followed Lily as she made her way over to Christian’s trailer that was, sadly, right next to mine. She knocked on the door to his trailer politely, completely unlike me when I had to knock on his door. 

After a few moments, Christian opened the door. Unfortunately for my poor, poor eyes, he was shirtless. 

“Gross.” I wrinkled my nose. “Go put on a shirt. I don’t need to see your moobs.”