Chapter Twenty-Two

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 22

“Oh, dear God,” Nora muttered crossly. “Sophia, Christian. For the last time. Nothing you say will get you out of this! It’s necessary.” 

“No, it’s not!” Christian and I chorused, glancing at each other in surprise momentarily.

“I’m not going to change my mind, guys,” she insisted, shaking her head. 

“You should’ve just let me handle this,” Christian accused in annoyance, turning to face me. “I had it under control.” 

“If you call ‘having it under control’ groveling like a baby, then yes, you did,” I shot back, rolling my eyes. 

“I wasn’t groveling!”

“Then what would you call it? You were desperately pleading and nearly crying over it. You were groveling like a baby.” 

“I had it under control,” he repeated irritably. 

“No, you didn’t! You needed my help and you know it!” 

“I didn’t need your help,” he said through gritted teeth. “I was doing just fine on my own.”

 "Bullshit,” I replied immediately.

“Godammit, you are the most infuriating person I have ever met!” he exclaimed, running a hand through his dark hair in frustration.

 “I could say the same about you!” I retorted angrily.

 “Guys!” Nora cried, finally having had enough. “Stop arguing! This is precisely the reason these late night rehearsals were called! You two cannot be in the same room without finding some petty thing to argue over.”

I glared at Christian, finding myself very tempted to make a childish reply.

He, in return, just glared back.

“I refuse to do these scenes,” I proclaimed suddenly.

I knew I had no right to make such a proclamation, but I was desperate. I was running out of options. I didn’t want to do these scenes with Christian! The last thing I wanted was his tongue in my mouth… I shuddered at the thought, and not in a good way.

My proclamation seemed to give Christian an idea because all of a sudden, he was refusing, as well. “I refuse, too, then.”

Nora sighed in frustration. “You don’t have a choice. We are going over these scenes if it’s the last thing we do!”

“I don’t want to,” I groaned, looking at Christian in disgust.

“You think I want to?” he demanded angrily.

“Sophia, Christian, please…” Nora reasoned, but we weren’t listening.

“Nora, I do not want to practice having Christian’s tongue in my mouth! It’s not happening!”

This ended up making Nora say some very unpleasant things to the both of us. After this, we finally succumbed. I, for one, knew it was a lost battle the minute I started fighting it, but I still felt the need to try.

This late night rehearsal was, as expected, a total disaster. In one of these scenes we did, we had to stand really close, but we didn’t even want to do that. We had already attempted this scene once before, but it didn’t work out so well so it was postponed until later.

Until now, more specifically. 

 “Sophia, just take two more steps towards him,” Nora said to me. “Only two more and you’re good.”