Chapter Seventeen

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 17 

I did it again. I assumed my actions would have no consequences, but I was wrong. Oh, was I wrong. It was even worse than the last time I did something like this, actually, because this time, this affected many people, not just me. 

How was I supposed to know something like this would happen, though? It wasn’t something that immediately popped into your mind before you said something. 

Now, let me get one thing straight. When I said what I said on the John Stavros Show, I wasn’t really thinking. I was acting out of spite. I didn’t think of the consequences, as was more than clear by now. I didn’t consider the possibility of something going way wrong. I spoke without thinking, as usual. 

I had no idea that my simple action could cause such an extreme domino effect. If I had, maybe I wouldn’t have done it. 

Maybe. 

Nah, I probably still would have done it. I just would’ve been sneakier about it. 

Anyways, the next day, I realized just how much trouble I had caused. And actually, that was nothing. It had only been less than a day. It was only the beginning, although I hadn’t quite figured that out yet. It didn’t take me very long to come to the realization that things could only get worse, though. 

When Tori turned our television on to one of the many celebrity gossip shows she watched on a daily basis, I could hear her squealing loud and clear even though I was in the kitchen. I was pouring milk into my bowl of cereal when she started squeaking and screaming. 

“Soph, come here!” she cried wildly. “Quickly!” 

“What now?” I asked with a sigh, walking into the living room with my bowl of cereal.

“Look! Just look!” 

I sat down on the couch and set the bowl down on the table in front of me. I took a few bites as I watched. 

As soon as what I was seeing processed in my mind, I spit out my cereal after almost choking on it. “Oh sh—” 

And then I actually started choking on my cereal. 

“Look what you did!” Tori exclaimed with wide eyes. “Are you seeing this?” 

I merely nodded as I managed to calm down long enough to stop choking on my cereal. I took a deep breath and kept watching. 

On screen, there was a pretty, tall girl with short blond hair and dark blue eyes introducing herself to the press as Chloe Hale, Christian Ryder’s girlfriend. 

Something told me Tori was right and this was somehow my entire fault. 

“I’m so glad it’s not a secret anymore,” she gushed happily. “It’s such a relief! Now the entire world can know that Chris and I are in love! I love him more than anything in the world and I know that he loves me. Now we can be together, without any obstacles.” 

Oh dear God, this girl was delirious… 

As I kept watching, I figured out a few things. Apparently, Chloe was the girl Christian had been talking to on the phone the day I overheard him. She was the girl I had assumed to be Christian’s girlfriend. 

She must have seen me on The John Stavros Show and taken my comment about Christian having a girlfriend as a sign that their relationship was now out in the open. Why else would she announce that she was Christian’s girlfriend to the press all of a sudden? And it was the day after my little comment, too.