Chapter Twenty-Nine

A/N: If you've already read this, READ IT AGAIN. It got cut off and was only a page long. <.< I was so mad. I did not write over 3,000 words for nothing! So sorry!

***

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 29

It was a good thing no one was around to witness my reaction after I heard that voicemail. Well, I most likely would have internalized all of my true feelings, faking a cool exterior, but this way, I could panic freely. 

First, I saved the voicemail. Then I listened to it over. And over. And over. And over. 

I honestly lost track of how many times I listened to it. 

I was torn. I was absolutely torn. I didn’t even know what to think, what to feel. I didn’t know anything. I was beyond confused. I didn’t know what to do. He was going to be expecting an answer for sure, and I just didn’t know what to say to him. I would have to avoid him until I got this straightened out. 

I listened to the last part to exhaustion, specifically. 

“Basically… I’ll make saying yes worth your while, Soph. I… I… Iloveyou. Okaybye!”

It was honestly beyond cute. 

I just didn’t know if it was true or not. It just didn’t make sense. None of this made sense! He had to have been acting. He had to. This just wasn’t possible. He was Christian Ryder. He could have any girl he wanted. He could have a freaking Victoria’s Secret Model, for Christ’s sake! And let me tell you, I was no Victoria’s Secret Model. I didn’t think I was ugly, of course, but I also didn’t delude myself into thinking I was model material. 

Why would he choose me? I was barely even famous. I was almost your average girl. Why would he want me? 

And even if I could accept the fact that he wanted me, why would he be this nervous around me? There was absolutely no reason! What happened to his charm? The confidence that made so many girls swoon and throw themselves at his feet? It didn’t make sense that Christian Ryder would be nervous about saying this to a girl. I was sure he had said “I love you,” to many girls before me, and I was sure he had lied to all of them, too. 

I desperately needed someone to talk to about this, but I couldn’t think of anyone besides Tori. I wasn’t sure if this was the best idea, however. I knew how she would react, and I would need some Aspirin afterwards. 

There really was no one else, though, so finally, with a loud sigh, I decided to head home to tell Tori about the voicemail. 

I opened the stall and poked my head out slightly, making sure there was no one there. I was almost sure there was no one, but I had to be positive. Once I was satisfied that the coast was clear, I ran for it. I sprinted all the way to my car. 

I was clearly not sneaky-detective material. If this place hadn’t already been deserted, I would’ve been caught. 

Thankfully, I made it back to my apartment safely. 

“There you are!” Tori exclaimed, jumping up from her seat on the couch. “Finally!”

“The fact that you were just sitting there, doing absolutely nothing as you waited for me is actually really creepy.”

She grinned widely. “I know. I was going for a sort of parent, Godfather kind of thingy. Pretty good, right?” 

“Uh huh,” I said slowly, honestly questioning my friendship with her. Sometimes, she just made me wonder. She really did.