Chapter Twenty-Eight

A/N: If you're not a Ry-Hard already... well... this might change your mind. ;) 

***

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 28 

I was never going to live this down… ever, ever, ever! Why did I kiss back? Why? I could understand why I kissed back the first time. I kind of had to. It was my job, after all. But the second time? Why did I kiss back the second time? 

I must have been on something. That was the only explanation. Maybe Tori put something in my water bottle when I wasn’t looking. 

Yes, that must have been it. 

Because really. When would I, Sophia Hastings, the biggest Anti-Ry-Hard on this planet, kiss Christian Ryder back willingly? It just didn’t make sense. 

I was so disoriented that day, as well. I could barely remember half of the things that happened. That must have been part of the explanation as to why I kissed him back. 

I really shouldn’t have done it, though. Christian now seemed to think this meant something, which it didn’t, of course. 

As soon as it dawned on me what I was doing (which was, regrettably about twenty seconds after he had kissed me) I pulled away. When it fully sank in, I freaked out. The star-struck, lustful look on Christian’s face after the kiss didn’t help, either. 

After what had just happened, my makeup smudging from the rain was the least of my problems.

I disentangled myself from him and took a few big steps back. I just stood there awkwardly, moving a strand of wet hair from my face before completely snapping out of whatever spell I was in for a full five minutes, it seemed. 

I swiftly walked away from him, ignoring his calls of protest. I was stopped by Nora, who grabbed onto my arm. “Oh, Sophia! I am so proud of you guys! I knew I could count on you! That was beautiful!”

I smiled weakly at her, barely listening as she went on and on about how magnificent we were.

 “Soph!” Christian called out from behind me. 

“I’ll just leave you two alone,” Nora said with a wink. 

I grimaced. Oh, God. This was starting already? This was horrible! 

She walked away with a wide grin on her face. I didn’t know if the grin was the result of the first kiss or the second and frankly, I didn’t want to know. 

“Hey, Tor, come with me to the bathroom,” I said quickly, still choosing to ignore Christian’s insistence on calling my name. 

Tori’s eyes were wide and she looked like she was about to burst with excitement. I didn’t know how she was controlling herself, honestly, because I knew she had witnessed the second kiss, and I knew she had plenty to say about it. “Let’s go, then!” 

The only reason she wasn’t protesting about being dragged to the bathroom so suddenly, especially when she was so close to Christian, was because she was certainly going to pounce on me the second we were out of eyesight and earshot. 

“Soph, wait!” Christian appeared beside me, placing his hand on my shoulder. 

My shoulder twitched, but I didn’t move his hand. “Christian, I have to go the restroom. We can talk later.” 

“Promise?” He looked at me hopefully. 

Why did I tell him that last part? I should’ve just left it as it was. Now he was expecting a conversation, and I knew what the conversation would be about. I didn’t want to go there.