Chapter Nineteen

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 19

I was probably disrupting all of my neighbors with my yelling, but I didn’t care. I was beyond mad. I had never been as completely furious in my entire life as I was at that moment. 

How dare he? How dare he make up such a filthy lie? That was just low. Nothing I had ever done to him was as bad as what he just did to me. 

“Soph, don’t do anything you might regret later,” Tori pleaded, holding onto my arm to stop my agitated pacing. “I know you’re mad, but whatever it is you’re planning on doing right now probably isn’t the best idea. You’re too worked up.” 

“Tori, what is that you expect me to do?” I demanded shrilly. “Stay put and do absolutely nothing? Get real. Were you not watching?” 

“I know what he did was low and it was horrible, but don’t sink to his level,” she continued slowly, tugging on my arm. I knew admitting that something Christian Ryder did was horrible was most likely a painful feat for Tori. She had him on a pedestal so high, almost nothing could touch him. This was one of the few things that could. I didn’t feel very bad, though. It was time she saw him in a new and more accurate light. “You’re better than this! Be the bigger person and let this go.” 

“I can’t let this go. You know very well that I hold grudges like the freaking Grudge herself.” I shrugged out of her grip. “And if I do nothing, he’ll take it as a sign that he’s won, that he’s somehow stronger than me because of it. And I’m not having that.” 

“I’m sure that isn’t true,” she cried, becoming desperate. There was just no getting through to me. 

“No, it is,” I insisted stubbornly. “I told him right from the start that if he did something to get back at me for my indiscretion, he would regret it. I have to make good on my threat. I promised him he’d regret it. And he will. Oh, he will.” 

“What are you going to do?” she asked after a moment, looking at me thoughtfully. 

I shrugged. “Right now?” I took my phone out of my pocket and glared at it. “Right now, I’m going to call Christian and let him have it.” 

As I had expected, Christian ignored each and every one of my calls. And there were seventeen of them that each lasted a total of two rings, so I knew he was ignoring my calls. 

“He’s probably not going to answer…” Tori trailed off uncertainly. “He knows you’re mad.” 

“Of course he’s not going to answer. And I don’t blame him. I probably wouldn’t answer either if I were him. But I have many, many things to say to him.” I could feel my ears turning red with anger, so I took in a deep breath and slowly let it out in an effort to calm myself down. 

“But he’s not answering,” she pointed out, biting her lip. “What are you going to do now?” 

“I’m going to pay him a little visit, then,” I resolved, grabbing my car keys off of my desk. “And no, this isn’t a good moment for you to come with me, Tori.” 

Tori sighed in defeat. “Fine. I can live with that. I don’t think I’d want to go, anyways. But you know, maybe it would be best if you waited until tomorrow. You’re really too riled up right now. You’re not thinking logically.” 

“No way,” I protested immediately. “I’m letting him have it tonight. He’s not getting off the hook so easily!” 

“Soph—” she began quickly, but I ignored her. I had already made up my mind. I ignored her protests and threw a hoodie on, using it to hide my face. I stalked out of my room and out of our apartment, heading towards my car.