1~ After

I don't leave the waiting room outside of the hospital wing for the next two days.  I refuse to leave my mother when she needs me most. Dad feels the same way, but he's forced to leave to take care of Kaden and Osten and... Well... The rest of the country.  The Selected come and go, but the one who stays by my side almost constantly is Kile.  He's seen every aspect of my life from the time I was born until now. He's seen me as a fearless ruler, a brat, a sister, a daughter, sad, happy, angry... The list could go on forever. But he has never ever seen me like this. Nobody has. And maybe that's why they all look so scared.
   Not leaving a room for two days doesn't give much room for keeping up my always put together image. My hair is in a messy bun which I have taken down and put up several times out of anxiety. I have no makeup left and I'm in my jeans and one of Ahren's shirts.  I hate him so much, but I can't seem to make myself take it off.  My knees are pulled up to my chest as I stare at the wall.
  Kile walks up slowly. He's only left when he had to get food or use the bathroom.
   "Eady," he whispers, gently reaching out to touch me.  "Hey... Will you please eat something for me? I got all your favorite foods... Henri even made those pastries you love..."
    "No thank you," I say softly.
He sighs and bends down in front of me so I'm looking him in the eye.  "Eadlyn... Your mom wouldn't want this... You're hurting yourself.  You haven't eaten more than a few bites of food in forty-eight hours.... I can't watch you like this. Please."
   I stay silent.  Everyone knows I'm stubborn on a normal day, but this whole ordeal has made me even more stubborn. It's my mom in me.
   He sighs and runs his fingers through his hair and looks torn.  "Eadlyn. I care about you. Please don't do this to yourself... To everyone who is watching you fall apart." And with that he lifts me up from my chair and kisses me slowly.
    Since the first time I've kissed him, I keep using it as an escape. I feel so... Different when I kiss him.  My body quickly takes over and I'm kissing him back and my hand is in his hair and it's like all the weight is lifted from my shoulders.  I could stay like this forever.
   My dad clears his throat behind us and we spring apart.  He looks like he's almost smiling. Almost.
   "So... Is this a common occurrence between you two? Because... I think I approve," my dad says with a completely straight face.
   My cheeks go red. "I.... We.... Uh...." I look to Kile. He looks about as embarrassed as I am.  He scratches the back of his neck then claps his hands together. "Well... This has been fun... But uh... I think I'll leave you two alone..." He looks straight at me and says, "Eady... Please eat some of this." He hands me a bag of food then puts an arm around me and kisses my head very softly before looking down and leaving.
   I just watch him go, equal parts happy and sad.
   "So... Do I hear wedding bells yet?" My dad tries to tease.
   "No." I say, harsher than I meant.  "No..." I say again, softer this time.  "But... I've decided I'm going to end this with a husband. I don't know who yet so don't jump to any conclusions.... But I'd like to actually try." I clasp my hands together in front of me.
   His eyes look glassy.  "Oh, Eadlyn... I'm so proud of you," he whispers before pulling me into a tight hug. When he lets go he holds me at arms length, looking me over.  "I'm not going to tell you who to pick.... But there's definitely one guy in rooting for...  The one who I know would do a better job taking care of you than anyone else, even though we all know you don't need to be taken care of." He pokes the bag of food in my hands and I get it: he wants me to marry Kile.
   And you know what's strange? I don't hate the thought.