17~ futures

Later that evening, we are all settled into the beach house. We've set up an impromptu ceremony by the water. The sun starts to set as I finish getting ready. I'm getting myself ready today with a little help from my mom and miss Marlee and miss Lucy. At the last minute I decided to invite general Leger and miss Lucy because I've known them since I was born and they are practically my family. I'm putting on a simple white sundress. It's nothing that I would have ever worn out. It's not a princess dress, it's a normal girl dress. There is no real waist to it as it just hangs on me perfectly. It's got spaghetti straps that show off my gorgeous tan and it's longer in the back than in the front. I let my hair out of its braids and it is in messy waves down my back. I put one pin in it to hold one side back but then I just look at myself in the mirror. "I don't want anything else... I don't want to be made up... I want to be me."
My mom smiles and nods. "You're beautiful no matter how much you get ready." She wraps her arms around me from behind.
Miss Marlee is crying so much that Lucy has to take her out.
My mom kisses my cheek. "I'll see you out there. I have to make sure your brothers aren't doing anything to ruin this... Or your father, for that matter." She grins and leaves.
I am once again alone as I stare into the mirror. There is a light knock on the door then General Leger pokes his head in.
"Hi... I um.... I was just coming to.... Wow... When did you get so beautiful?" He says softly, shaking his head.
I turn to face him. "I'm not nearly as beautiful as my mother, but thank you."
"Eadlyn... You're so much like her it's crazy. I know you don't think you look alike because of your hair and your eyes, but there's so much more than that. When she was your age, she had your same smile. That same glow about her. Sometimes you're so much like her that I have to remember where I am, who you are." He sighs softly then looks back at me.
"But you're also far too much like your father. So in to your work," he pretends to chide me. "Live a little, alright?"
"I'll try..." I smile slightly.
He smiles then looks down. "You're a brave woman... I never understood how you and your parents could do this... The selection, ruling the country, giving up every part of yourself... I'm not nearly selfless enough for that."
I think back to a conversation I once overheard between him and Lucy about them never having children.
"You're more selfless than I would ever be." I bite my lip then open the door and call for Lucy. She comes in.
"Yes, miss?" She asks softly.
"I wanted you both to be in here when I told you. I know I'm going to sound nosy and rather like a brat, but please hear me out." I clasp my hands together. "You're having a hard time having children, are you not?"
Miss Lucy seems to wince at the words as she looks down. "Yes miss" she whispers.
"And I am very good at getting what I want, am I not?"
"Yes miss... You're very good at that. Always have been."
"Very good, so I'm not crazy. Now I'm going to tell you something... My mother and I have both looked into being surrogates for you. She doesn't know I have, but I have. But you see... Our bodies don't belong to us. There are certain things we aren't allowed to do, and I hate that. And I was feeling pretty miserable one day in this whole wedding process that I couldn't seem to do anything for anyone but myself. So I got thinking about all the people I wish I could help... You were at the top of my list. So I put my power to work. I started interviewing women and finding someone who was healthy and sweet and loving to become a surrogate for you. You've done such an amazing job raising is spoiled palace brats..." I smile a bit. "I thought it was time you got to raise your own children to be great people. I've paid for the whole process."
They both stare at me, dumbfounded.
Miss Lucy starts crying with her hand to her mouth. She can't even speak. She just sobs uncontrollably and for a moment I worry that they don't want this, until she wraps me in the tightest hug I've had in a long time. I smile, relieved, and hug her back gently.
General Leger has tears on his cheeks as he just stares at me. "Eadlyn," he whispers. "I can't believe... I mean... You... Thank you. Thank you so much. We can never ever repay you."
"You already have. You have been very great friends and family to me.  Is it sad that aside from my maid and my fiancé, you're my only friends?"
  General Leger chuckles softly and finally joins our hug.  "Not at all.  We are more than happy to be some of your only friends.  It is an honor."
  I smile softly and hug them both.  "Alright, well... I really don't want to leave how we are right now, but I think I'm supposed to be eloping."
  They laugh and release me.  "We will escort you," General Leger says while bowing and taking my hand.
  I smile and hold onto them both as they lead me out to- don't laugh- my future.