xviii; choosing sides

"You can't tell anyone, promise me." Hayley pleaded to Dan as she sat up, wincing and reaching for where the bullet wound was. "Okay? Please." She sounded distressed, and in her situation, Dan knew he would have too. Distressed was something that would probably be common to a vigilante, and also common for a man who had gotten tangled up in crimes lately. 

But he hesitated, put his hands on his knees, and closed his eyes. He exhaled a little shakily, and then held out a hand to her. "Deal." He finally told her, and she glanced up with this baffled expression. Most sane people wouldn't have agreed that easily to keep the identity of a girl who went out and fought crimes at night a secret. Most people were money hungry, would sell her identity out for a bit of extra cash in their grimy hands. But she lifted her own hand, still gloved in a gauntlet, and put it in his. She shook, and he shook with her, before they both pulled back.

"What about you?" She asked Jimmy with a cautious, guarded expression as the man packed up. Raising his blue eyes to look at her, to scrutinize her for a moment, he then nodded.

Then, as if he needed to explain why he would keep the secret, he continued with, "I trust you're doing what's right." 

Hayley liked to think she was, in fact, doing what was right. She'd saved lives, including the one of the man in front of her, but sometimes she couldn't get there fast enough. Sometimes, she lost people. At the thought, her stomach tightened up, and she ran her hands over her face. That wasn't what she needed to think about in a stranger's apartment though, and she felt bad for disturbing them at such a late time. 

They honestly didn't seem fazed by it though, and she was becoming concerned when there was a knock at the door. Dan looked down to her, smiled gently, and said, "I'll get it." He was heading to the door then, and when he opened it to a frantic blonde girl with clothes in her arms, he stepped aside. "Analise Hathaway?" He questioned, and she looked to him and cracked a smile. 

"That's me, hello." She agreed, and then looked to where she saw her best friend, sighing in relief. "Hayley," She mumbled, and pinched the bridge of her nose with one hand. "Can you be careful next time? Pretty please?" She tossed the extra outfit she'd brought with her, and then Hayley looked to it. 

"Hey, can I use your bathroom?" She asked to Dan, and then when he nodded and pointed her over to where it was, she nodded thankfully and disappeared. 

Now Analise scanned the two men, and slipped her hands into her pockets. "Officer Analise Hathaway, partner of her brother Dick Karter, plus the co-founding and second member of the Night Team." 

"I want in." Dan demanded, and Jimmy agreed with a noise.

So there it was, the heroes now had a team.

   →→→ 

so in the spirit of the title, choose a side!

dan/hayley/analise/jimmy

OR

benji/phil

OR

dick/lance 

???