xxvi; browsing history

"Ooh child, things are gonna get easier," came the sound erupting from the stereo on the rooftop, and Benji grinned under the mask covering his mouth, lifting his head to glance to Phil. "I thought some tunes from Awesome Volume one were owed, since we are awesome, and Peter Quill is like, just as awesome as us." There was a long silence, and then Phil groaned, put his hands to his helmet and kept them there for a long time.

"We're supposed to be incognito, Benji." He snapped, and Benji quirked a brow, crossing his arms over his chest as he stormed back to go turn the music off. 

"Like your browsing history!" He announced once the tunes had ceased playing, and there was a long silence before Phil gave another groan and turned away. Benji gave a shrug, and then he pointed towards the a cluster of transport trucks. "Maybe we should give the crew a little Devil of London welcome." He mused,

Phil turned, adjusted the leather jacket he was wearing, and his lips tipped downwards. "Maybe we should." He agreed, and then grinned, clasping his hands together. He was at a running start now, and leaped off the warehouse building to a lower one. He skidded to a halt, used the side of the new building to let himself fall onto the top of a closed garbage container, before sliding off of that and onto the ground. 

"Crew!" He announced, and sauntered over, both hands laid on the currently holstered duel pistols. "Any chance you'd let me take a look at the cargo?" His voice was an order, perfectly disguised as a question, but the crew got the message.

"Yeah, Devil, anythin'!" One exclaimed, and he opened a truck, pulled out a trunk. "Yo, Joey, toss me a crow!" 

Joey, apparently, a brown haired boy, shyly passed a crowbar over, wincing when he got a whack on the shoulder with it. "I'm sorry!" He whimpered, in a frightened sort of voice, and Phil looked over briefly through his mask, narrowed his eyes and curled his lips back in a sort of snarl.

"Who do you think you are?" Phil snarled suddenly, and he stormed to the man and grabbed the collar of his shirt, helmet dangerously close to his face. "Who?" He demanded, and shook the man, "Because you have no right to treat anyone that way, you piece of scum!" 

Benji, behind him, brandished a sword, and once Phil had pushed the man away, the man launched forward and cut his head clean off. There was silence, and Joey launched forward and pressed himself against the ground, as the crew began to yell at Phil, demanding why the Devil had their leader killed. But Phil brandished both his guns, and with quick ease, shot all of them, except the kid. 

"You're okay." Phil said softly, and dropped to sit on his haunches, reaching for Joey. The boy scrambled to sit up, looking at Phil with wide, blue eyes. 

"You killed them because of me?" Joey queried in a small voice, and reached for the lapels of Phil's jacket. He was at maximum sixteen, but no younger than fourteen, and Phil ignored him for a moment, pushed his shirt to the side, could see where a bruise was going to form, but currently bright red. 

"Raze, make sure the illegal weapons trade gets handed to Jaeger. Just say something happened to Stump's crew." Phil told the man, and Benji was focused on glaring at the blood on his sword, and then nodded after a moment, made a face and sheathed it on his back again. Then, once Benji had disappeared, Phil looked to Joey. "Are you alright?" asked Phil, and his voice was soft as he reached for the boy, helped him stand on wobbly feet. "Where do you live? I can take you home."

"Home?" Joey echoed. "I don't have one... My... They killed my Ma." He whispered, and there were tears in his eyes, suddenly, and he launched to Phil and pressed against him. "You can't leave me here, please! I don't wanna be alone again!"

Phil sighed heavily, and then promised: "You don't have to be alone, you can come home with us."

There was a slam, and Phil lifted his eyes to see someone crumple to the ground, to see Dan and Nightkiller side by side in costume, Nightkiller holding her staff like she was holding a baton, hitting it gently against one hand. There was a person in front of them, and Phil felt sickness fill his stomach when he saw that it was Benji, wanted to throw up right then and there. "Us?" Nightkiller snarled suddenly, and she'd obviously heard his last words. "What us? You're not going anywhere, Devil." 

Phil shook his head, glared, and brandished both his guns again, able to aim one at both Hayley and Dan. "Watch me." He snarled, and he knew Benji would want to get his phone out now and blast Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling, demand they settle this the way Peter Quill would, a dance-off. 

He shot both guns at the same time, and Hayley still moved forward, held her staff and swung to him. He ducked, grabbed it and pulled her forward. Then he flipped her over his shoulder, slammed her against the ground, and looked to Dan. He stormed up to him, pushed him against the wall, and they were deathly close now. "I'm going to kill you," He whispered, "It's gonna hurt."

  →→→   

i wrote this listening to awesome mix vol. 1 and i regret nothing because my gotg references are on point and yours are not

im kidding

but hey, how was your day?