5. Dementors

Chapter five

"Seamus" I yelled excitedly, running up and hugging my best friend. We were about to start our third year at Hogwarts and I hadn't seen Seamus in months.

Seamus hugged me back, and he pulled away smiling. His eyes suddenly shot down at my chest "Um, you've grown a bit" He joked. I opened my mouth in pretend shock, I knew he didn't mean in height as his eyes were fixated on developing chest. But I laughed along with him. Best friends can joke about these things.

Yes, I had hit grown up a bit during the holidays, but looking around the train station, so did a lot of the other third years. Even Seamus's voice seems deeper. We were not little kids anymore, we were now teenagers.

We boarded the Hogwarts express and looked for an empty compartment to sit. We were nearly at the end of the train when someone pushed past me.

"Watch where you're going, Leigh" It was Draco Malfoy.

I almost gasped in surprise when I saw him. Draco had changed a lot since I last saw him. His blonde hair was no longer slicked back, but now fell in front of his forehead, he was very tall and his face no longer had that cute kid look to it. It was more mature and handsome now. His voice was also a lot deeper. I couldn't help to blush at how attractive Draco had gotten over the Summer. He may be a Jerk, but he was a hot jerk. A new feeling arised inside of me. I guess this is what happens when you become a teenager.

"Come on Lexi, we won't get a compartment at this rate" Seamus pulled me by my arm forcing me to look away from Draco's retreating back.

Near the end of the train, we finally found an empty compartment. We sat near the window on the opposite sides of each other. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe Draco's personality had 'grown-up' a bit with the rest of him over the Holidays, but I very much doubt that. I was probably in for another year of silly pranks and name-calling.

"What did you get up to during the holidays?" I asked Seamus, taking my thoughts away from the blonde.

"My father took me camping and fishing. He wanted some Father/Son bonding time. I think he's afraid that I think he is uncool because he is a Muggle. He is right though, I do think he's uncool. Not because he's a Muggle though. No, because he likes fishing." Seamus shook his head and I laughed at this.

"Fishing does sound pretty boring" I agreed. Not that I've ever done it myself before.

"Believe me it is. I thought I was going to die of boredom"

The compartment door opened, making Seamus and I look up. It was Neville and Dean.

"Hey guys" Neville sat next to me. Neville had changed over the holidays. He was taller and a lot slimmer.

We talked about our holidays on the way back to Hogwarts. We were all pretty excited to be starting our third year. Third years were allowed to go to Hogsmeade on the weekends. I had my permission slip in my pocket signed and ready to go. I could not wait for my first trip there. I wanted to visit Honeydukes the most. Thinking about all the sweets made my mouth water.

"What's going on?" Neville asked in a frightened voice as the train suddenly came to a halt and the lights went out, snapping me out of my thought of delicious food.

"We can't be at Hogwarts already," Dean added.

The windows of the train began to freeze over with ice, and the temperature dropped. I could see my own breath fogging in front of me. Goosebumps appeared on my arms and I shivered.

"I'm going to go see what's going on," I said getting up off my seat. My first thought was the train just broke down, even though that does not explain the sudden drop in temperature. I had no ideas for that.

Seamus grabbed my hand "Are you crazy, don't go out there. We have no idea what's caused this"

"Well, I'm not going to find out sitting here" I pulled my hand out of his grip and slowly opened the compartment sliding door. "Don't worry, I'll come straight back if I see anything bad"

I slipped out into the dark train hallways. It was so dark I could just see the outlines of heads popping out of their compartments trying to see what was going on.

I slowly walked down the hall with my wand out and made my way to the front of the train. More goosebumps appeared all over my skin as I could sense something just ahead of me. I decided to stop and turn back around. Whatever it was I really did not want to stay here and find out.

Just as I spun back around, I bumped straight into someone. I gasped loudly, my heart beating hard in my chest.

"Who is that?" Draco Malfoy's frightened voice whispered in front of me. I could see his cold breath coming from his dark figure.

"It's Lexi" I whispered to him "There is something coming" My voice showed how frightened I was. I couldn't control it.

Draco peered over my shoulder. He too could sense something heading our way. He grabbed my arm and pulled me into the nearest door. It was one of the train's bathrooms.

"It's a dementor. They are searching the train for Sirius Black" Draco whispered to me. My heart beating up into my throat and my stomach felt in knots, knowing what was there didn't make the fear go away, it increased it. Dementors were the guards of the wizard prison Azkaban and were known for sucking people's souls out of their mouths. I did not want that happening to me today...or any day.

The air got colder and colder as it got closer. We could hear its ragged breath as it drew nearer. Suddenly the door to the bathroom slid open. I grabbed onto Draco wrapping my around his waist, and buried my head into his chest, as fear took over my body. Draco did not push me off; he instead wrapped his arms around my shoulders protectively and backed us up as far away from the door as possible.

I had my eyes closed, and I could hear Draco's quickening heartbeat in his chest. His arm muscles tensed up around me, and he shook slightly. I felt like all happiness had left my body, like I would never be happy again. We stayed still and silent, waiting for what would come next.

Draco's muscles finally relaxed around me, and his heart rate began to slow down a bit.

"It's gone Lexi" he whispered in my ear, his arms were still around me. The train was still dark and cold. I didn't dare to move just yet, in case it came back. I just stayed silent, still in Draco arms. I felt a strange feeling of being safe here with Draco. Something I never thought I could feel with him. Maybe I was right and maybe he had grown up a bit. I was so glad that I had bumped into him in the hall. I would not have known what to do if he wasn't there.

The lights suddenly turned back on and the train began to move again. I looked up at Draco, who looked down at me; he looked a little bit pale in the face, well paler than usual.

As colour seemed to return back to my face, my cheeks suddenly felt hot, realising we were in each other's arms. I pulled out of his arms and backed away from him a few steps.

Draco looked uncomfortable as he straightened himself up "Let's keep that to ourselves, alright Leigh"

I nodded, avoiding looking him in the eyes. Draco swiftly passed me, his arms gently brushing against mine as he went. I was left alone in the bathroom. My heart was still beating fast in my chest, but not from the dementors, but from how close I had been to Draco.

I was almost certain now that I had a crush on him.