8. Pity

Chapter eight

I made my way down to the common room early in the morning. I had trouble sleeping last night. I just could not get Seamus out of my mind. I missed my best friend and was hoping more than anything that he would talk to me this morning.

I was the first one up and the sun was just rising above the hills, shining through the small window up near the ceiling. I sat down on the lounge; the fire had already been re-lit by the house elves this morning. I was thankful for that, it was freezing.

I pulled my legs to my chest hugging myself to try and stay warm. I knew Seamus would be up very soon. He was an early bird, normally the first up of the boys.

After about only 15 minutes of waiting, I heard footsteps start to descend down the boy's dormitory. I looked up hopefully, but it was only Neville.

"Good morning Lexi" He greeted me as he made his way to the portrait hole.

"Hey Neville, Is Seamus up yet?" I asked him before he left.

"Yeah, he is just getting ready, he will be down any minute now" Neville left and I was once again alone in the common room.

I sighed and watched the boy's dormitory closely. I felt nervous about talking to Seamus. I did not know what to say really to make him forgive me. I would just have to do my best to convince him that I was not choosing Draco over him, that I can be friends with both of them.

Suddenly Seamus appeared at the foot of the steps. I was too busy thinking of what to say that I didn't even hear him come down.

"Seamus," I said getting up from the couch quickly.

Seamus looked at me for a second, glaring at me. I gulped nervously; he had obviously not forgiven me yet. Seamus began to walk past me and head for the portrait hole. I quickly grabbed his arm preventing him from leaving.

"Let go of me Lexi," He warned.

"I'm sorry Seamus, I really am. I did not mean to pick him over you. It was not like that. Please, Please forgive me" I begged as tears welled up in my eyes.

Seamus did not look at me; he pulled his arm free "Why don't you just go running to Malfoy, he can be your best friend now"

Seamus left the room, a tear slipped down my cheek, but I quickly wiped it away as I heard lots of footsteps coming down from both the boys and girl's dormitories.

"Are you okay, Lexi?" Hermione asked as she saw the saddened look on my face.

I gave her a forced smile "I'm fine, thanks, Hermione. I will see you down at breakfast"

I left the room and headed down to the great hall for breakfast.

There still were not many people in the hall yet for breakfast. Only Seamus and Neville were at the Gryffindor table. He did not even look at me as I entered the hall. I stood in the doorway, deciding if I should go and sit next to him, or not.

"Move out of the way, blood traitor" I felt my shoulder being barged, which nearly sent me stumbling to the ground.

I managed to hold myself and turned around to see it was Draco Malfoy who had pushed me. I felt confused; I honestly thought things were going to be good between Draco and I now. I was obviously wrong.

"What the hell is your problem?" I yelled at him.

"Watch your mouth you filthy little blood-traitor" Malfoy growled and his friends laughed behind him.

That was it I had had enough. I had lost my best friend over a guy who only pretended to like me just to humiliate me.

Using all my force I slapped Draco hard across the face, his head turned to the side and a great red mark was left on his cheek. Tears fell from my eyes as I pushed past Draco and his friends running out of the hall.

I turned the first corner I came to and stopped leaning my back up against the stone, cold wall, heaving deep heavy breaths. I couldn't believe I had just hit Draco Malfoy. I will surely pay for that severely later.

"Lexi?" A voice whispered next to me. I nearly jumped out of my skin, thinking Draco was coming after me for revenge.

I looked up to see who had said my name. Seamus was standing beside me. He looked at the tears that rolled down my cheeks. I felt myself being pulled into a hug by him. I hugged him back tightly. I missed him so much and having him here when I needed him the most, really helped a lot.

Seamus pulled back a little bit so he could look me in the eyes. He smiled kindly at me and wiped away a tear that was sliding down my cheek with his hand.

Seamus then did something I was not expecting at all. He pressed his lips up against my own. Seamus's lips were warm and soft against my own. I looked at him wide-eyed, but his eyes were closed as he continued to kiss me.

I kissed him back, although I did not feel this way about him. I just did not have the heart to push him away, not when I desperately needed his friendship right now.

"What the hell!" A voice of disgust came from behind us. We pulled apart to see Draco Malfoy standing there watching us. His eyes looked into my own, and I swear I could have seen a hint of jealousy in his cold grey eyes.

"What do you want?" Seamus growled at him.

"Well I was looking for Lexi, to get her back from slapping me, but it looks like you are punishing her enough for me. Poor girl had to kiss you, that would be the worst punishment imaginable" Draco laughed meanly.

Seamus glared at Draco and walked over to him with his hands balled into fists. "You are just a jealous, slimy little git" Seamus growled at him.

Draco took a step closer "Do you really think so? You already know Lexi has a thing for me. The only reason she is with you is that she knows I wouldn't date her Blood-traitor ugly ass any day"

I felt hurt at Draco's words. I knew he didn't like me that way, but to actually call me ugly seemed way too harsh. I wish I could just stop my feelings for him.. I wish I could just feel about Seamus the way he feels about me. This would all be so much simpler if I could.

I walked over between Seamus and Draco.

"Just go away Malfoy. I don't like you, the only reason I visited you in the hospital wing is that I felt sorry for you. The fact that you don't actually have any friends that cared enough to see if you were alright"

I glared at Draco, who's smug look turned to anger. "That's right I pity you" I laughed and grabbed Seamus's hand and pulled him down the hall and away from Draco.