6. Care of magical creatures

Chapter Six

"I can't believe they are letting this oaf teach classes here" Draco's voice complained, as our class stopped in a small clearing, in the dark forest.

Hagrid was our new Care of Magical Creatures teacher. I didn't mind though, I really like Hagrid. He was very understanding and kind, half-giant, and always up for a chat.

"Shut up Malfoy," Harry said, stepping in close to him.

Draco and his friends laughed at Harry's bravery. Draco took a few steps closer to Harry like he was going to fight him.

Suddenly Draco's face showed a look of fear, as he looked up in the sky behind Harry's head.

"Dementors, Dementors," He said pointing at the sky behind Harry. Everyone in the school had heard Harry had fainted on the train when he saw one of the dementors. Draco was taking every opportunity to tease Harry about it too.

Harry quickly turned around to see nothing there. Draco and his friends began to laugh even harder. Harry turned back around to see Draco and his friends lift their robe hoods over their heads, and make spooky sounds like Dementors.

I couldn't help to laugh silently at this. I thought now was the time to do it, time to flirt and let Draco know I am into him. I walked up behind Draco, unnoticed by any of my friends, or Draco. I lent in close behind him and whispered in his ear.

"You know Malfoy if all Dementors looked like you did. I wouldn't mind being sent to Azkaban"

That was real smooth, I thought. Almost instantly regretting saying that.

Draco turned his head around and looked at me "Is that so Leigh" he smirked at me. Maybe he was going to flirt back? He looked around to see his friends were watching us talk. Luckily I don't think they heard what I had whispered to him.

"I will arrange with my father to talk to the Minster. I'm sure they can arrange for you to take Blacks empty cell. At least you won't be around to annoy me anymore" he added, his tone was harsh.

I made sure to hit Draco's shoulder hard as I stormed past him, back over to Seamus. Nope, he's still a jerk like always.

"What's the matter?" Seamus asked me, as I stood next to him with my arms folded across my chest, with an obviously annoyed expression on my face.

"Nothing" I shook my head and watched as Hagrid led a large animal from the bush. It was larger than a horse. It had the upper body of an eagle and the lower body of a horse. Its wingspan was huge, almost as long as a house.

"This is Buckbeck, he is a Hippogriff. A very proud creature, you do not want to offend one. It might well be the last thing you ever do " Hagrid informed us, as we all watched the beast with curiosity.

"Now who would like to come and say hello" Hagrid rubbed his hands together excitedly.

We all stepped back from the creature. Harry was too busy watching Buckbeak that he did not realise, and was standing a metre out in front of the group. Looking like he had stepped forward to volunteer.

"Well done Harry" Hagrid smiled at him. Harry quickly looked around and realised what happened. He glared back at us, as Ron nudged him forward towards the beast.

He bowed to Buckbeck as Hagrid instructed. After a few restless minutes, Buckbeck bowed back to Harry.

Harry moved forward slowly and patted the Hippogriff on the beak and we all clapped in amazement.

"I think he might let you ride him now," Hagrid said, lifting Harry from under the arms and placing him on the creature's back.

Harry quickly protested against it, but Hagrid gave the creature a pat on the side and it took off into the air. We all watched in amazement as they soared through the sky, with Harry clutching onto it's back for dear life.

Five minutes later Buckbeck landed on the ground, back where he was before. Hagrid helped a very pleased looking Harry off of his back.

"That was amazing," Harry said to us as he came stumbling over with a huge smile on his face.

Draco suddenly pushed his way through our group pushing myself and another Gryffindor out of his way. I stumbled back a bit but Seamus steadied me before I could fall.

Draco strolled straight up to Buckbeck with smugness to his stride.

"You're not dangerous at all are you? you great ugly brute"

"Malfoy, No" Hagrid warned loudly.

Suddenly Buckbeck's front legs came flying up into the air and crashing down towards Draco. His front leg came down onto Draco's arm, which he had up to protect his head.

"Draco" I yelled scared. I tried to run over to him, but someone had my arm.

"What are you doing Lexi? who cares about him?" Seamus said, still holding my arm.

I pulled my arm out of his grip and ran over to Draco, who was lying on the ground holding his arm. Hagrid was in front of Buckbeck trying to calm the beast down.

I knelt down over Draco and grabbed a hold of his hand.

"You are going to be okay," I said, reassuring him. I was not sure if he had heard me. He kept grunting in pain with his eyes closed, mumbling about how the creature was going to pay for what it had done.

"He needs to go to the hospital wing," I told Hagrid, as I looked down at the blood dripping from Draco's arm.

Hagrid grabbed a hold of Draco under his knees and back, picking him up with ease. "I'll take him" He headed towards the forest exit.

"Class Dismissed" He yelled to the rest of us as he made his way up to the castle.

Everyone retreated out of the forest and headed up to the castle. I stood where I was for a minute still in shock of what had happened. I couldn't believe how stupid Draco was, approaching that creature like that. He was lucky he didn't get killed. I was glad he didn't get killed. I snapped out my shock and went over and grabbed my school bag that was leaning up against a tree. To the side, I could see another bag. It was Draco's. None of his 'friends' bothered to grab it for him.

I grabbed Draco's bag with my own. I couldn't believe how much of Jerks his friends were for not taking it to him.

"Why are you getting his bag for him, Lexi? He's an ass who deserves everything he got" Seamus was standing behind me, I hadn't noticed him waiting for me.

I didn't answer Seamus; I looked away from him awkwardly. How was I supposed to tell my best friend that I like the guy who is mean to us all the time? Who calls him Mudblood just because one of his parents is a Muggle?

"Leave it here, and let's go get some lunch together," Seamus said, holding his hand out for me to grab it.

"I can't, I'm sorry. I got to take this to Draco" I said walking around him.

"Since when did you start calling him Draco? Are you really going to choose him, over your best friend?" I could hear the hurt in Seamus's voice.

"It's not like that!" I said angrily, turning back to face Seamus.

Seamus looked like he was about to cry. He shook his head and walked past me without looking at me"Whatever, go to him. Just don't come running back to me when the jerk breaks your heart"

With that Seamus was gone.