17. The lake

Chapter Seventeen

The next morning I made my way to the great hall for breakfast. Everyone kept glaring at me as I walked past, so I looked down at the ground as I passed. When I got to the Gryffindor table I could see Fred and George sitting next to each other. Whispering and laughing about something to one another. I was just about to go join them when Seamus, Harry, and the others sat with them. I sighed sadly and sat at the other end of the table instead and began to eat my breakfast alone.

"Can I walk with you to class?" A voice asked from behind me.

I knew that voice oh to well. It was Draco. He stood there with his hand held out for me to grab it. I felt like telling him to get lost, but instead, I said "Sure, why not?" It beat being alone.

I took the last bite of my toast and grabbed Draco's hand. People stared at us as we made our way out of the hall. Everyone hated me anyway, no point trying to change their minds anymore.

I glanced at Fred and George as we passed them. Relief washed over me when they waved at me, with friendly smiles on their faces.

"Why were those losers waving at you?" Draco asked with a frown as we left the hall.

"They are not losers!" I replied angrily, releasing my hand from his "Thanks to you, they are the only friends I got now"

Draco grabbed my hand again in his "Ok I'm sorry" He said and continued walking, pulling me along with him.

He's sorry? It was still strange to hear that come from his mouth. Maybe he did have a real feelings for me.

We were the first ones at transfiguration, Professor McGonagall was sitting behind her desk with a quill. She was marking homework and didn't even look up as she spoke.

"Take a seat, the class will begin soon"

"Did you want to sit with me?" Draco asked. I nodded and walked with him to his usual spot near the front left side of the classroom.

"No, not there," I said, making him stop.

"Why not?"

"Because Crabbe and Goyle normally sit behind you. Honestly, I don't feel comfortable sitting in front of Slytherins. Who knows what they would do to me with my back to them "

Draco rolled his eyes at me "You know they would not do anything while I am here"

"Sit where you want Draco. I am sitting at the back" I turned and walked to the far back corner and placed my book bag down next to me.

Draco plopped down in the seat next to me "happy now?" He asked sarcastically with a smile.

I smiled back at him "very much so"

Soon the rest of the class started to pile into the classroom. Seamus stopped and stared at me when he saw me sitting with Draco in the spot where he and I used to sit.

I could sense him glaring at me, but I did not look back at him. Instead, I grabbed Draco's hand on top of the desk and held it.

"I knew you liked me too" Draco whispered in my ear with a smirk.

"Let's just say I am giving 'us' a chance" I whispered back to him. I did not think Draco knew that I actually held his hand to piss Seamus off some more. I mean if he is going to be angry and hate me anyway, why should I care what he thinks anymore? I had to face the truth, our friendship was over, for good.

Throughout the entire class, I resisted the urge to look at Seamus who sat one row in front of me. When we started to write notes I had to let go of Draco's hand because it was my writing hand he was holding.

I copied down the work from the board. I heard parchment ripping from beside me and a piece of parchment landed in front of me.

I unfolded it and read what was inside.

Do you want to go to the lake with me after class?

Draco

I quickly scribbled a yes under his writing and handed the note back to him. I knew it would have been easier to just say it, but Professor McGonagall has the best pair of ears. She hears everything, and anyone caught talking in her class gets points taken from them and detention.

Finally after two long hours class was over and lunch had arrived. Draco immediately grabbed my hand as we walked out of the classroom.

"Can you believe that Lexi is actually dating that idiot Malfoy" I heard Seamus laugh to Dean from behind us, as we walked down the hallway.

Draco stopped immediately, and I knew he had heard him as well "What did you say you filthy little half-blood" Draco pulled out his wand and started to advance on Seamus.

"You heard me Malfoy" Seamus spat, pulling out his own wand.

Honestly, I did not wish to see any of them get hurt. I quickly ran over and stood in front of Draco.

"Let's go Draco, he is not worth your time" I pleaded with him to stop with my eyes and too just walk away.

Draco could tell I did not want him to fight Seamus "Fine, your right Lexi. I have better things to do then care what a filthy half-blood thinks"

Draco grabbed my arm and we walked away at a fast pace. I heard Seamus yell something out to us again. I could not quite hear it, but I thought it sounded something like "you're scared Malfoy"

Luckily Draco did not seem to hear anything and we continued to walk out until we got to the lake.

It was a bit cold outside, but the sun still shone high in the sky. I sat on the soft grass by the lake, and Draco sat down right next to me.

"Why did you ever date that guy?" Draco asked, frowning as he stared out into the lake.

"He was my best friend and I did not want to hurt his feelings. I wished I had just said no though. We could have still been friends now"

"You don't need him" Draco turned to me, he grabbed the side of my face with his hands and leaned in close to me. He gently pressed his lips up against mine. I closed my eyes and kissed him back. This was the first time Draco had kissed me like this. It was so sweet and caring, and for the first time ever I actually felt close to him.