Chapter Three: Meet the Band

I didn’t really know what to expect until we walked in through the front door. It smelled of beer and cigarettes. It took me only a moment to realize this was going to be one of ‘those’ kinds of parties. Drinking, sex and music-how terrific. I sighed and followed Brian through the crowd. He knew pretty much everyone and with each step, he stopped to high-five or say hi to someone. I felt like a loser, not knowing anyone. I got a few looks from some girls, who were probably thinking “Who’s the new girl?”

            I just kept my head held up high and ignored them. I had nothing to lose, after all. We finally reached the small area that was set up for the band. Setting the amps down as instructed, I took a peek around the room. This wasn’t just a party for the popular kids, I realized-there were all kinds of people here. The smart kids who were in the magnet program at school stood in one corner of the room chatting amongst themselves. The band geeks were spread out across the room (I could tell they were in band because no offense or anything, but band kids are so annoying.) probably talking about marching band. Yes, it seemed like that was all they ever talked about. And then you had the jocks, they were hot and tough, but inside we knew they were all douchebags.

            Brian thanked me and went off to go find some of his other friends. I wish he hadn’t gone; I looked like an idiot standing here all by myself with no one to talk to.  

            After twenty-five minutes of boredom, all the guys finally got up to the ‘stage’ and got ready to play. I only hoped that they weren’t going to suck that bad. I looked at the lineup, I had never actually figured out what instruments these guys played.

            Blake was the singer, Ryan and Caleb were on guitar, Brian was on bass and Chase was the drummer. Oh, joy-my worst nightmare that Chase was the drummer had finally come true.

            Blake tapped the mic to make sure that it was working. “Hey, how’s everybody doing tonight?”

            A loud cheer erupted from the crowd.

            “Awesome, we’re gonna play a few songs,” he took a few steps back and Chase started playing the main beat for the song.

            It was a simple rhythm, and Blake had everyone clap to it. “I wanna see everyone off their feet, alright!” the guitar intro for the song comes in and I recognize it almost immediately. They’re doing a cover of ‘Girls Do What They Want’ by The Maine.

            “She’s eighteen and a beauty queen,” Blake belts out, the crowd is singing along, which is awesome. I don’t think anyone at my private school would’ve known who The Maine was. He pointed the mic to the crowd and they sung the lyrics back to him- “She makes the boys feel so weak!”

            The song continued, and I was enjoying myself. They weren’t as bad as I thought they were going to be. I watched Chase carefully throughout the set, he wasn’t a bad drummer, but there were probably a few things that I could teach him. The rest of the guys were good too, Ryan was an epic guitar player and Blake had a really raspy voice, but it was nice.

            I was kinda sad when it was all over, but I was happy that I got to see them play.

            “You need a ride home?” Blake asked me once they’d packed everything up.

            “Yeah, that would be nice,” I replied.

            “’Kay cool, Imma go find the others,” he told me and went off to look for the guys.