Chapter Thirty-Two: Nothing But the Truth

As soon as we had our day off, I picked up the phone and dialed the number for Scottsdale News.

            “Hi, this is Renee at the Scottsdale News Center, how may I help you?”

            “Hi, this is Mandy Hawthorne. I got an email about four days ago from you guys asking if I would like to be featured in a new segment.”

            “Oh yes, Mandy, Mandy…” she tried to remember.

            I waited for a few moments until she finally said, “You’re the drummer girl, right?”

            “Yes, that’s me,” I answered.

            “Let me connect you to Bryce,” she punched some numbers and sooner or later, a deep voice came on the other line.

            “Hello, am I speaking to Mandy?” he inquired.

            “Yes.”

            “Great, so you got our email?”

            “I did. I don’t understand how you exactly found out about my story…” I trailed off.

            “I have my sources.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean?” I was already annoyed.

            “Well, since you’re so curious, I happen to have people in my office who know Ryan’s family.”

            “Oh.”

            “So, you’re willing to do the news segment?”

            “It depends, what is it going to be? I mean, I know what it’ll be, but what kind of stuff will you ask me and what will you say?”

            “You know, just about your past, and future of course. How you are an inspiration to many young girls out there.”

            An inspiration? I didn’t know what kind of crap this guy was trying to feed me, but it certainly wasn’t winning me over.

            “Um, I don’t think you understand. Nobody really knows who I am.”

            “I wouldn’t say that, I mean, they will after we air the segment! Just think about all the girls out there that have been in your position before.”

            “You mean, girls that have been raped?” I still wasn’t entirely comfortable saying the word around other people.

            “Yes, victims of that. And the fact that you are able to move on and you proved your case in court.”

            That was true.

            “I’m just afraid of what people will think. I don’t want it to hurt the band.”

            “It won’t hurt the band; if anything it will help you get even more exposure.”

            Maybe, maybe. But not so fast, Bryce.

            “Right, I see where you’re coming from…” I trailed off.

            “So, will you do it?” he pried.

            “Yes,” I answered. Not exactly sure why I’d agreed to it, but something in my heart and in his cool voice told me that it would be a good thing. I just hoped my heart was telling me the right thing.