Chapter Twenty-Nine: Stay Away, Sweet Misery

“Are you trying to make me fat?” I prodded as I took a bite of my In-N-Out burger.

            “What do you mean?” he questioned, taking a sip of his soda.

            I put my burger down. “Seems like every time we see each other, we go out to eat!” I joked.

            “True, true,” he nodded. “Well, you did say you were starving in the car,” he pointed out.

            Okay, this was actually true. My stomach was growling so loudly in the car I probably droned out the music we were playing in the car.

            “Fine, you win,” I grinned and checked the time on my phone. It was only six. “So, what’s next on the agenda?”

            He wiped his mouth off with a napkin and wadded it up. “I was thinking we could just go somewhere and talk. You know, catch up on things.”

            I agreed and finished off my food. We were back in the car in a matter of five minutes and on the road. “I know a good spot,” he declared after a few minutes of driving.

            “How far away?” I asked, gazing at the barren Arizona desert outside my window.

            “Not far. Like ten minutes,” he answered, his eyes focused on the road ahead even though there was practically nobody around.

            “Oh,” I said, surprised.

            “We better get there soon. Don’t wanna miss it,” he told me.

            “Miss what?” I craned my neck towards him.

            He gave me that same old crooked smile that I loved and said, “You’ll see.”

            We were quiet in the car for the rest of the ride. I enjoyed the feeling of the AC blasting, making my hair fly around everywhere. Even the dryness in the air was all too familiar and comforting. Guess that’s what I get for being an Arizona kid.

            Soon enough, we pulled up to what looked like a mini Grand Canyon. It was pretty cool, all the rock formations and such. Just as I expected, there was not a soul in sight.

            “If I get bitten by a snake or something, I’m blaming you,” I shut my car door.

            “You’re safe with me,” he reached his hand out and I took it. Ah, the feeling of holding hands. I just hated it when mine were so sweaty.

            We started by going down a slant in the ground, climbing along some of the rocks until he pointed the spot for me to sit down. We sat in silence for a good five minutes until I whispered, “So, what are we waiting for exactly?”

            “Here it comes,” he leaned over and said it softly in my ear, sending chills down my spine.

            I looked up only to behold the sun going down in a spectacular mix of colors. “Oh my gosh,” I breathed, just trying to take it all in.

            At that moment, a slight breeze blew through the humid air, making me shudder a little bit.

            The pinkish-orange sky was absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. I couldn’t help but pull my phone out and take a picture. Hello, new wallpaper. “So, what’s with you and the band?” he finally brought up.