Chapter Fourteen: Holiday Sweaters & Hot Cocoa

The holiday show came a lot quicker than I thought it would. It was already Saturday and we were setting everything up at The Grill Bar.

            “Hey, where should I put these cables?” Brian asked Ryan.

            “Uh,” he looked at bit frazzled. “Just put ‘em by all of our guitar stuff,” he said.

            I had already set up my drum set and tested it and everything so I decided to stay out of their way. I joined Candace at the merch table and helped her hang up some t-shirts.

            “Don’t you just love how these turned out?” she held up the holiday sweatshirt with the design she’d showed us earlier.

            “It’s really cute,” I said. “How many of those do we have?” I asked.

            “Only about ten,” she hung one of them up, “they don’t call ‘em limited edition for nothing.”

            Our merch table looked pretty impressive, though. We had five different t-shirts, the holiday sweat-shirt and some zip-up hoodies. Also, Candace had made tons of rubber bracelets which were separated in a plastic holder by color and design.

            Candace clapped her hands together. “I think that’s it girlie,” she moved her ‘money box’ underneath the table, out of sight.

            “It’s only four o’clock,” I sighed. The doors didn’t open until 6:30 and the show didn’t start ‘til 7:15.

            “You wanna go grab something to eat?” she got up and grabbed her purse.

            I looked over at the guys who seemed to be arguing about the stage set up.

            “Yeah, let’s go,” I grabbed my phone and jacket and we headed out.

            “Oooh, there’s a Wendy’s around the corner, wanna stop there?” she asked me.

            “Sure,” I replied and we walked around the other various shops in the plaza until we found it.

            “What’s wrong, baby doll?” she looked concerned.

            “Oh, it’s-“

            “Ryan, huh?” she finished off for me.

            I nodded.

            “What’s been going on between you two, anyway?”                       

            I told her about our little ‘date’ and then how he’d been acting like I didn’t even exist when we were out in public with all our friends.

            “Hmmph, that’s weird.”

            “I know, and every time I try to talk to him about it, he doesn’t want to listen.”

            “So, have you guys..” she trailed off and then looked up at me. “You know?”

            “Oh, god no. But, I mean, it’s come close to that,” I admitted.

            “Sounds like he’s using you, honey bun,” she opened the door to Wendy’s for me.

            “I’m not even sure anymore.”