Chapter Twenty-Two: What a Bummer

I'm aware that this is extremely short but I needed to fit this part somewhere into the story. Also, I haven't updated in awhile so I figured I need to get things 'rock 'n and rollin' if you know what I mean. I hope you guys appreciate this small tidbit :)

             “This has to be the best pizza that I’ve ever had,” I exclaimed as I wiped the tomato sauce off of my upper lip.

            “You got a mushroom there,” Adam reached over with his napkin and got it off.

            “Thanks,” I said. I could honestly feel myself blushing.      

            “So, when’s your band going back to-“ he paused for a moment, “Arizona, right?”

            I nodded. “And tonight was actually our last show,” I admitted.

            “Really?” his eyes widened. “What a bummer, I was looking forward to spending more time getting to know you.”

            “Aw, that’s so sweet,” I took a sip of my Coke.

            He smiled.

            “Where do you live?” I asked.

            “Well, my dad’s job is always forcing us to move around but I’ve been here, in Cocoa Beach I mean, for about a year. ‘Course, it usually doesn’t last much longer than that. Soon we’ll be headed off somewhere else,” he sighed.

            “Hey, you never know, maybe you’ll come to Arizona,” I joked.

            He laughed; I could tell he was thankful for my humorous attempts.

            “You’re right, we just never know,” he finished off the last of his pizza.

            “I’m seriously gonna miss the east coast,” I explained.

            He looked straight at me, indicating that he was listening to every word. Guys who were good listeners were always the best.

            “I mean, it’s just a whole new experience. I guess I was tired of the dry desert,” I shrugged.

            “It’s always good to see new things,” he remarked.

            “I agree.”

            “It’s like-wanderlust.”

            “You mean ‘an intense desire to travel the world’?” I pretended to quote from a dictionary.

            “Exactly, I would love to go to more places.”

            “Haven’t you already been to a lot? You said you moved a lot.”

            “Yeah, but that’s just in the U.S. Going to other countries is a completely different story.”

            “I see.” I had never been out of the country and I wasn’t really planning to unless there was a discount on the plane tickets.

            Suddenly, my phone vibrated in my lap.

            It was a text from Hannah: Everything’s packed up. We should get going; we’ve got a long drive back.

            "I'm sorry, I would love to stay and chat, but I should really get going," I apologized as I rose to my feet.

             “No, it’s okay, it was great, really. I enjoyed spending time with you.”

            “Even if it was only thirty minutes?”

            “You forgot to add in the time at the coffee shop.”

            “Okay, forty-five minutes, then?”

            “Sounds fair,” he gave me a hug and then we pulled away. I really didn’t want to leave him. He seemed like such a nice guy.

            “I’ll catch you later,” I said before walking out the door. This wasn’t awkward or anything, it was just a bit sad.

            He gave me a small wave and I was on my way.

            I pulled out my phone to text Hannah back and just as I was halfway to where the van was parked, I realized two things:

1.     The tour was finally over and I would have to go back to my boring life in Arizona.

And also…

2.     I had just met a really awesome guy for once and I’d completely forgotten to get his number. Great.