Chapter Four: It's Official

My alarm woke me up at 6:30 AM; I almost didn’t want to get up, even though it was Friday. I pulled my favorite sweatshirt on over my head and slipped into a pair of jeggings.

            After grabbing a quick breakfast of orange juice and a bagel, I was out the door in almost no time.

            John gave me a ride to school and he was surprisingly quiet that morning.

            “Something wrong?” I asked him.

            “No, no. Just thinking,” he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel.

            “About what?”

            He didn’t answer, but I just decided to ignore it. He could be weird sometimes, I’m not exactly sure why. Guys say girls are hard to understand but they should take a good look at themselves, trust me, they would know.

            “I’ll see you later,” I grabbed my bag from the back seat and hopped out of the car.

            He pulled away in an instant and I was left standing there, all by myself. I took a deep breath and began walking up the front steps. Not for long though, someone tugged on my sleeve.

            “Hey!” Hannah’s rosy face appeared.

            “Oh hey,” it’s like when you see one of those people that you’re not really crazy about, or frankly, you just don’t want to talk to, at the store.

            “How’s it going?”

            “Alright, I guess.”

            She frowned. “It’s Friday! Get happy! So, are you going to the game tonight?”

            “What game?”

            “The football game, silly. Duh,” she said it like it was so obvious.

            “I’m not sure yet,” I replied just as the warning bell rang, hopefully this would be a good excuse for me to escape.

            “Oh, well, you totally should! I’ll be there, and some of my other friends, some of them are pretty cute,” she winked, “I could hook you up.”

            “Haha, as tempting as that sounds, I don’t know.”

            “Here,” she took out a sticky note and jotted down a number. “Call me if you change your mind,” she handed it to me with a jolly smile.

            I took it gratefully and thanked her.

            “Finally,” I muttered under my breath and continued on my way to homeroom.

            Ryan and Blake were already there, but they didn’t seem like themselves today. Ryan sat with his head in his hands, staring off into space while Blake didn’t even make eye contact with me as I sat down in the seat in front of him.

            “Okay, so what’s up with you two today?” I asked, completely out of the blue.

            Silence.

            “Come on, you guys can’t just ignore me, what’s wrong?” I looked at both of them and shook my head. “Seriously, will any one of you speak?”

            Blake sighed. “Chase quit,” he said.

            “What? He, he quit?” I stuttered. In my mind, I was thinking “I knew he wasn’t going to last long anyway.”