Chapter Ten: We Need to 'Talk'

It was a Monday. Everyone’s least favorite day of the week. It was no different for me. I managed to get up and haul myself out of the door and to school on time. Besides, I had to find a good female singer for one of our songs and possibly convince some orchestra kids, too.

            I scurried down the hallway almost running into some kids that were carrying a large art sculpture.

            Hannah had texted me last night and I’d asked her if she knew any good singers. She said there was a girl in her chorus class she thought would be perfect for the song, so I set off to find her. I only hoped her voice wasn’t to bubble-gum pop sounding; Blake and I had agreed it would be cooler if we got someone with a more interesting, rare voice.

            “Hey, there you are!” Hannah gave me a quick hug and then introduced me to the girl who was standing next to her.

            “This is Nicole, and Nicole, Mandy,” Nicole had her long hair in an intricate braid and wore combat boots and a leather jacket.

            “Hey,” I grinned. She definitely looked the part.

            “Hey, how’s it going?” her voice was cheerful, but not so cheerful that it was annoying.

            “Pretty good,” I answered.

            “So, your band is doing a song and they need another singer?” she asked.

            “Yup, here are the lyrics, and the song,” I handed her a folded up piece of paper.

            “Cool,” she scanned the lyrics and frowned. “Hey, I think I know this song,” she remarked.

            “Really?” my eyes widened.

            “Yeah, hold on, do you have it so I could listen?” she seemed interested.

            “Of course!” I pulled out my iPod and played her the song. When it came to the girl’s part, she started singing with it.

            Her voice was perfect, almost a bit boyish-like, but she was able to still maintain that girly appeal. It had an edge to it, exactly what we’d been looking for. I could only imagine what Blake would say when he heard her.

            “Awesome!” Hannah clapped after she finished.

            “It was really good,” I agreed, “do you think you’ll be able to do it?”

            “Yeah, I think so,” she smiled back and tucked the lyrics into her pocket.

            “Great. We’re practicing after school tomorrow at Blake’s house,” we exchanged numbers and I said, “I’ll text you the address tonight.”

            “Okay. Sounds good,” she replied.

            “Thank you so much for doing this!” I gave her an unexpected hug and headed to first period.

            “Look who it is,” Chase muttered under his breath as soon as I walked in.

            I scowled at him and sat down. Might as well ignore him; yeah right.

            Chase turned around and as usual, he had that same smirk written all over his face.

            This time, I started the conversation. “So, too sad to show your face at the park this weekend?”