Chapter Eleven: You Better Impress Me

“You’re not serious?” Hannah and I were sitting together at the lunch table.

            “I am,” I had just told her about what had gone down yesterday at Ryan’s house. She couldn’t believe it; she said it had happened so fast.

            “It was crazy; I didn’t know what to do!” I exclaimed. 

            “Okay, wait, so did he take his shirt off first?” she contemplated. 

            “Hannah!” I couldn’t believe her.

            “What?” she acted like it was a big deal at all.

            “Mandy, I’m serious. But, you guys didn’t-“she stopped in her tracks.            

            “Oh, no, of course not,” I reassured her.

            “Whew,” she pretended to wipe the sweat off of her forehead.

            “It’s like he’s doing the exact opposite of what he said he wanted in the first place. Before, he didn’t even want us to be together so I told him ‘let’s take it slow’ and now what is this; we’re taking each other’s clothes off already?” I sighed.

            “You know what they say: nobody can stop two lovers,” she slurped her lemonade.

            “Who said that?” I asked.

            “You know, people,” she shrugged.

            I turned my attention back to my burger which remained untouched.

            “You guys should really sort this out, Mandy. I mean, if you guys were supposedly ‘together’,” she made air quotes with her fingers, “why wouldn’t Ryan want anyone to know?”

            “I asked him that. He just said he didn’t know how people would react,” I explained.

            “Here’s the thing: if you guys are so in like with each other, then why would you care so much of what other people thought?” she questioned.

            “I don’t know,” I was very confused. I had mixed feelings about Ryan and I wasn’t sure if I should confront him about it again. If I didn’t though, what would we be? We’d be nothing, and we didn’t want that, right?

            “That’s okay,” Hannah patted my hand. “Just think about it, but don’t stress.”

            I didn’t know how that was going to be possible since thinking more about it got me even more stressed.

            The bell rang signaling the end of lunch. “I’ll see you tonight!” Hannah called after me.

            “See you,” we had band practice today and since Hannah was a great photographer (she’d shown me some of her pictures), we decided to have her take some pictures of the band to put on posters for the holiday show.

            Someone tapped me on the shoulder.

            “Nicole!” I exclaimed. I was happy to see her.

            “Hey,” her voice was cool as usual. “So, practice tonight at five?” she asked.

            “Yes,” I confirmed.