Chapter Twenty-Seven: Nightmare

By the time we broke the news to my dad, he insisted that we press charges. That was about a week ago and here I was sitting in this lawyer’s office. I knew Ryan was going to get a lawyer too, but I tried not to be too worried. My concern was that he had a chance to win because there wasn’t much evidence that I had been raped except what I confessed to.

            My dad sat next to me in the office, holding my hand, as we waited impatiently for the lawyer to come in.

            He gave me a reassuring look and mouthed, it will be fine.

            Well, I sure hope so.

            The lawyer finally entered and introduced herself as Rebecca Martin. She wore a ruffled blue top along with matching navy pants. Her jewelry consisted mainly of dainty gold pieces and her hair was swept up into a messy bun, a few barrettes peeking through.

            “Hello, Andrew,” she shook my dad’s hand. “You must be Mandy,” she extended her long arm out and I shook it.

            She opened the yellow manila folder that lay on her desk. After skimming through a few pages she said, “Tell me a little bit about what happened that night.”

            “Well,” I was already starting to get choked up.

            My dad squeezed my hand tighter and gave me a look of sympathy. I could feel my eyes getting bloodshot red when he told me, “It’s okay, go ahead and tell her.”

            I glanced back at Rebecca, who was waiting patiently for my response. I took a deep breath and started, “Me and my friend Hannah were going off to a party to hang out with some of our friends. Once we got there, I lost sight of her and ended up being dragged upstairs by Ryan. He found an empty room, pulled me in there with him and we were just kissing at first, nothing serious. All of a sudden, he has me back on the bed and, everything just flashed by after that, honestly. Sorry.”

            “No need to be sorry, honey. I understand your situation; it’s something that must be taken very, very seriously. I don’t joke around with these kinds of things,” a small smile appeared from the corners of her mouth. “Now, I’m just going to ask you some questions, answer them to the best of your ability, okay?”

            I nodded and waited for the first question.

            “Was there any alcohol at this party you went to?”

            “Yes, there was.”

            “Were you intoxicated?”

            “No, ma’am.”

            “What about him?”

            “I don’t think he was. His breath didn’t smell like it.”

            She scribbled down a few notes. “Okay, how well did you know him? What was your relationship with him? Ever dated him?”

            Oh, man. Did I really have to answer this-with my dad in the room, especially? “Yes, we did.”

            My dad craned his neck and gave me one of those looks.

            “It was nothing serious though,” I added quickly, thinking this would somehow make it less of a deal.

            “Uh-huh. I see…could you give me some more background?” she looked up intently at me.

            “Well, we kissed a few times, but we never went that far. In fact, I never wanted to. He was kind of on-and-off with me; he didn’t want to date me because we were in a band together. He kept coming back to me though, like friends with benefits I guess? Not really what I wanted. At the time, we were at one of those stages and I was planning to end it anyway,” I explained.

            “Mmmm,” she nodded her head in agreement. She had clearly gotten the information she was looking for. “Now, I’m not trying to invade your privacy, I don’t want you to feel that way. It’s just my job and the only way we can even have the slightest chance at this is if I know all the details behind it.”

            “Definitely,” I looked at my dad who was just staring into space. Poor dad.

            “Alright, do you know if there’s any evidence that it happened?” she asked. “I mean, I will do my best to win this for you, but sometimes the judges don’t buy it unless there’s solid proof.”

            “Well, I doubt it. I can try and ask Paul, it’s his house, maybe there’s a camera or something.”

            “Please do. If you can’t find anything-“ she paused. “We’ll figure it out, just try not to worry. Just remember your case is next week.”

            I thanked her and we got up to leave.

            “I didn’t know you were dating him,” my dad said coldly as he unlocked his truck.

            “I wasn’t. It was just kind of a friends with benefits thing,” I said as I climbed in.

            “Oh and why would you do that?” he narrowed his eyes at me. His eyes were the same as John’s, deep blue and filled with fear.

            “To be honest, I don’t even know. I was just being naïve, until it finally came to me that it was stupid. So I broke it off with him and he just came crawling back for more,” I shrugged, not sure what else I could say.

            He shook his head and said, “Whoever messes with my daughter is going to be my next punching bag.” He pulled out of the parking lot quickly and speeded down the highway.

            “Dad, please don’t. I don’t want the band to be ruined,” I pleaded.

            “Look, honey. You have got so much talent; you don’t even need those boys,” he continued driving fast.

            “We have a record deal, do you even realize how much we’ve got going here!” I exclaimed.

            “I don’t care, it doesn’t even matter. If someone treats you like that, then you shouldn’t be in their presence any longer. You’re gonna have to call them and tell ‘em you quit.”

            “Dad, NO!” I was beyond pissed at him now. I don’t think I’d ever been this mad at him.

            “I’m just doing what’s best for you, sweetie,” he eased off the gas pedal and we came off on our exit near the McDonald’s.

            This is not fair, I thought to myself as I crossed my arms over my chest.

            “And I’ll be right there when you call them just to make sure you do it,” he added.

            I rolled my eyes and dreaded the moment of telling Blake that I was quitting the band. When we got home, I used the phone in the kitchen and mentally prepared myself to make the most painstaking phone call of my life.

            “Hello?” Blake’s voice came on the other end.

            I glanced at my dad who was, sure enough, plopped down next to me at the kitchen table, before saying anything else. “I have to tell you something.”

            “What’s wrong? Are you okay?” he asked.

            My voice trembled as I said those four words, “I quit the band.”

            “You whaa-“ I hung up the phone and slammed it on the table before I heard him say anything else.

            “Are you happy now?” I barked at my dad.

            He didn’t respond and I got up and ran upstairs to my room. “Sons of bitches,” I muttered under my breath.