Chapter Nineteen: It's Real, It's the East Coast

We were already more than halfway done with our trip by Sunday afternoon. It hadn’t been easy though; we all had to take turns driving and our van almost broke down in the middle of the road when we were going through New Mexico. Luckily, we managed to get it fixed and were back on the road in no time. The west coast was far behind us and now we were gearing up towards the border between Alabama and Florida.

            “What do you think of these colors?” I tapped Hannah on the shoulder and revealed the colors I’d chosen for our website.

            “Those are great,” she replied as she wrote out another email on her iPhone. “Purple and turquoise look fantastic together,” she nodded towards my MacBook screen.         

            I grinned proudly as I uploaded some more pictures from our shows.

            I had set up the website about a week ago with Candace, but had never gotten a chance to put my time and effort into it. I was really good with it, typing in HTML codes and such. The web design class I had taken last semester was finally paying off.

            The banner at the top of the website looked pretty epic, if I may so myself. Before we had left Arizona, we took a picture of all of us against the background of a beautiful sunset in the evening. With Hannah’s amazing photo, I was able to add in our logo and some special effects.

            I sighed, feeling content with the site, and shut my MacBook down. I took out the little USB from the side that doubled as my WiFi hotspot-that’s how I was on the internet in the first place.

            I thought everyone was practically asleep, with the exception of Blake

(who was driving), Hannah, and me until Caleb turned around and said, “Hey.”

            “Oh, hey,” I said softly.

            “Blake said we’re going to make a pit stop in Pensacola. We’re gonna hang out at the beach and maybe crash at a hotel tonight, or God only knows where we’ll end up,” he chuckled, probably reminiscing on how drunk he’d been and the girl he’d hooked up with at the last party. “Anyways, we have to be in Destin by nightfall tomorrow, so we should be good.”

            “Let’s not get too trashed,” I warned him.

            He waved it off. “Ah, it’ll be fine,” he insisted.

            Remind me why I’m in a van full of teenage guys?

            Oh yeah, that’s right-I’m the drummer.

            The only thing that sucked about going to Pensacola was that if there was a party, I was totally screwed. There was no way I could get away with doing anything since John was here, too.

            I glanced behind me to see if he was still following us like he had been for miles.

            Yup.

            Well, in a way I was glad that he was there to keep me from doing anything stupid but at the same time, I was a teenager, and I was supposed to make dumb decisions, right?

            When we were about five minutes away from Pensacola, Hannah turned to me and asked cautiously, “Did you bring your bathing suit?”

            “Yeah, I did. Did you?”

            She nodded. “But I ran out of tampons,” she whispered in my ear.