Chapter 3

It was after school now and Kellin and I were walking out of school to go home. Outside the front entrance, I caught a glimpse of Mike. He was laughing and the grin took over his face and I couldn't but think about how beautiful it made him look.

"Tone, you're staring," Kellin giggled next to me.

"Oh, I'm staring am I?" I joked, "What about you and Vic earlier? I saw you two flirting outside biology,"

"Well..." Kellin blushed, as we began to walk home.

Just then, Vic caught up to us, falling into step beside Kellin.

"Hey, Kell," he greeted softly, causing Kellin's face to erupt into a smile.

"Hi," he replied happily and they launched into conversation together.

I really wished he could just ask Vic out, but I think he's too shy. As we neared mine and Vic's street, we could hear sirens piercing through the air. We all shared confused glances and suddenly I got this uneasy feeling that something wasn't right. I broke out into a sprint, rounding the corner that led to the small clump of houses where Mike and Vic's house sat next to mine. Vic took Kellin's wrist and started running after me.

"Tone," Kellin called frantically.

I didn't stop until I was in front of my house. There was an ambulance outside, crowded with paramedics. A lump flew into my throat and it felt as though someone had punched me knocking all the wind out of my chest. I couldn't move, frozen to the spot. It reminded me all too much of five years ago when my mother got ill and Mike was holding me together as my tears fell on his shirt.

Suddenly, I spotted Vic's mother as Vic and Kellin caught up to me.

"Tony, dear, I'm so sorry," Vic and Mike's mother cried, rubbing my back softly.

My throat went dry and I could barely speak.

"W-what's going o-on?" I choked out, biting my trembling lower lip.

Just then, a policeman with sandy brown hair and a stern looking face came over to us.

"Mr Perry?" He asked looking at our little group.

I felt like I was drowning, but I couldn't bear to hear what he had to say.

"I'm sorry to report this, but your mother passed away this afternoon at three sixteen of stage three lung cancer. She died peacefully in-" I couldn't focus, everything was going blurry in front of my eyes.

I couldn't hear anything and the voices around me felt like they were drowning in the air around me. I sank to the ground; pulling my knees into my chest and staring at the scene unfold in front of me.

Slowly everyone disappeared and the ambulance pulled away. Mrs Fuentes had taken Kellin and Vic inside to give me some 'alone time'. After what felt like hours, I heard gravel crunch behind me.

"Tone," I heard a smooth voice behind me.

I turned around, tears still continually falling down my face. To my disbelief, Mike came and sat next to me. I hadn't been this close to Mike for five years and he was here now. Today had just been too overwhelming and I started to cry harder. Mike said nothing, but pulled me into him, winding his arms around my waist and letting me rest my head in the crook of his neck. For the first time in hours, I felt peaceful and my tears began to slow, as mike rubbed slow soothing circles on my back.

"Tony, I can't imagine how upset you must feel right now," he spoke softly.

I breathed in his sweet scent, which smelt of detergent and his aftershave. Honestly, I just wanted to keep talking with him; the simple sound of his voice made me feel better and the soft vibrations of his voice relaxed me.

"Hey, Mike, What are you doing?" a voice suddenly sounded behind us, ripping the moment to shreds. Mike sprang to his feet and I followed to where he went. Jaime was standing behind us.

Jaime looked down at where I sat on the ground and I felt super uncomfortable.

"So, Mike, want to go to the skate park?" Jaime asked him, talking a mile a minute and leading Mike toward the end of the driveway in front of Mike and I's houses.

Mike shot me a somewhat apologetic look and I managed to give him a small smile, wiping a few stray tears and getting to my feet as I watched them walk away.

A/N: Hope you're enjoying so far and thanks for reading.