Chapter 11

Mike laughed softly, gripping my hands tighter as we whirled around on the roundabout. I smiled out of habit as we staggered about, on the grass. Just then, it changed; I saw Mike's tenth birthday. He was smiling big as his family gathered round singing to him, his mother holding an ice cream cake with 'happy birthday Mike' scrawled across it in blue icing. He smiled at me where I sat next to him. Then, I saw an image I didn't recognise but it was still there. I had fallen asleep on Mikes shoulder and he beamed down at me. He gently lay me down on his bed and tucked the covers over me. I watched as he removed my shoes and socks and slipped away. The image fading fast. I tried to desperately to grip onto it, but everything became a bright white.
The white surrounded me, seemingly blinding as I tried to open my eyes. The white slowly began to fade and a clearer image appeared in front of me. Mike was sat on a plastic chair to my left, he looked scared and nervous. I could tell because he was chewing on his nails, which is what he always did when he was nervous. I felt a numb shooting pain along my right arm. As my eyes opened, Mike stopped chewing his nails and smiled down at me.
"Tone?" He breathed, stroking my hair off my forehead.
I tried to nod, but felt an excruciating shot of pain run from my shoulder and up my neck. I groaned quietly in pain, wishing I had the strength to sit up.
"Tone, it's okay, relax. You're fine," he tried to reassure me, smiling in sympathy.
"What happened?" I mumbled.
"Look, Tony, I need to go and get the doctor," he told me, standing up.
"Mike, I'm scared," I said, my voice quivering.
"Tone, you're okay. I'll be right back," he reassured me.
I felt tears of panic prick in my eyes, I couldn't remember what happened and I couldn't move, which only caused me to feel more frightened.
Just then, Mike came back in the room with a man in a white coat in tow.
"Hello, Mr Perry, can I ask you some questions?" He asked matter of factly.
"Y-yes," I muttered, stuttering due to sheer terror.
Mike came to sit next to me, placing his hand over mine, in an attempt to calm me.
"What was the last thing you remember?" The doctor asked me.
I frowned, straining to remember.
"Um, I remember going to the football game and then I went to the tree," I answered honestly, a few hazy details coming back.
"Okay that's good, but you don't remember what happened causing you to get hurt?" He asked intently.
"No," I mumbled, feeling tears once again, but this time of confusion and frustration.
"Well, it appears you were struck by lightning, conducted through the metal handle of the umbrella you were found with. This has resulted in you being unconscious for two days and what we believe to be temporary paralysis from your waist upward, although it should only take a few days to wear off. You have also been left with something known as fractal scarring on your arm.
(A/N: here is a pic of fractal scarring)

As a result, you will need to stay in hospital, for a few weeks," he spoke

"Okay," I whispered, shock just setting in.
The doctor left, leaving Mike and I alone.
"So that's it? I'm stuck here," I said, feeling helpless.
"Hey, Tone, it's okay. You'll be out of here before you know it and I'll come visit every day," Mike assured me.
"Really?" I asked hopefully.
"Of course," Mike said, giving me a soft smile.
A/N: Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.