Chapter 15

One night after school, I was just finished getting some blood drawn for testing and I had been told I wouldn't be released until the results were returned despite the fact I had got almost all of the feeling back. I had been here for two weeks now and I couldn't wait to be out of here. Just as my doctor left, Mike came into the room. He looked really upset, so I rushed over to him. I even noticed a few tears and without hesitating, I pulled him into a hug. He fell into my arms, gripping my shirt and resting his head against my shoulder.
"Hey, Mikey what's wrong?" I whispered softly, holding him at arms length to talk to him.
His big deep brown eyes were glassy with tears and it was breaking my heart. I wiped underneath his eyes with my thumb and rubbed soothing circles on his lower back.
"She b-broke up with me," he choked out, nuzzling into the crook of my neck.
"Oh, Mikey, shhh it's okay," I tried to reassure him.
It hurt to see him so upset, but I wished he didn't care so much about her.
"Mike, tell me what happened," I said softly, sitting on the bed with him.
"She cheated on me and broke up with me when I found out," he muttered.
"Look Mike we need to get out of here, just for the night," I said, suddenly having an idea.
I stood up, taking his hand and leading him out of the hospital room.
"Tony, where are we going?" He asked, his sad brown eyes looking into mine.
"Trust me, Mike," I smiled, locking our hands together and looking down at the way they fit perfectly together.
He nodded cautiously, looking down at the floor.
"Hey, I promise, Mikey, it's going to be good," I assured him, tilting up his chin to look at me, before leading him out through the front entrance. It was easy to leave the hospital and no one seemed to notice as we snuck out into the night. I started jogging down the darkened street away from the hospital. It felt exhilarating to run for the first time in weeks and to look back and see Mike following me, his sad eyes filled with tears.
"Wait, Tony, slow down, where are we going?" He asked eventually, pulling me to a stop and panting hard. I looked down at his tanned hand interlocked with mine and butterflies filled my stomach.
"You're beautiful, Mike, she doesn't deserve to treat you that way," I told him calmly, smoothing his hair out of his face.
He swallowed, sighing deeply.
"Hey, don't let her make you feel bad," I mumbled, running my thumb over his hand and giving him a small smile in the hopes he would return it.
He nodded, smiling the slightest bit, still with glassy eyes.
I continued to lead him down the road until we stopped outside her house. I knew it was hers because she lived right across the street from Mike and I and I'd seen him go over here often enough.
"Which window is hers?" I asked softly, squeezing his hand reassuringly.
He sniffled a little and pointed up at the second story window to the left.
I bent down and picked up small rocks from the gravel driveway.
"Tony, what are you doing?" Mike hissed.
"She doesn't deserve to treat you that way, Mike" I told him solemnly.
"What?" He looked confused.
"Tell her that," I instructed, throwing the stones each in turn at the glass pane.
After around the fourth stone, the window opened to reveal her.
"Mike, has something he wants to say to you," I called up to her.
"Go ahead," I whispered assuringly to Mike, placing my hand on my arm.
"Y-you can't just do that," Mike began quietly to her, but she could hear. A silence followed.
"A year of thinking that something was right and it wasn't,"
More silence.
"You don't just get to end things like that," Mike was getting louder.
Another silence.
"Well? Say something! I'm begging for you to say something because it's no use to me anymore..." Mike yelled, trembling with anger and sobs catching in his throat.
Silence.
"But I don't want it to be," he finished quietly, turning on his heel and running down the street.
I ran after him, turning back to watch her close the window, still with unreadable emotions.
When I reached the street, Mike was sat on the curb, breathing heavily and smiling so much.
I sat next to him and pulled him into my arms as he wound his arms around me.
A/N: I hope this is okay, it didn't quite turn out how I thought it would but anyway thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed. Also I love reading your comments so feel free to leave any.