nine

"Whoa, where is everyone?"

"Yoongi hyung and Hoseok hyung aren't here because Hoseok hyung is sick," Jimin explains, voice crackling through Jungkook's speakers.

Taehyung plays with the sleeves of his sweater. "Hoseokie has a fever," he adds.

"Yeah, Yoongi told me it was a really high fever," says Seokjin, frowning. "I just dropped off some soup for Hoseok."

"What about Namjoon hyung?" Jungkook asks.

"Visiting his parents." Seokjin's frown deepens. "I haven't seen my parents in a while. I need to visit them."

"So it's just us four today," Jungkook mutters. "Fun."

Jimin rubs his eyes. "I'm going to log off in a bit."

"I just got on!" protests Jungkook, and Jimin sighs exasperatedly.

"Yeah, but—"

"No buts!" Taehyung says loudly. "It isn't even 9:00 yet! And you weren't here yesterday!"

"I don't care," Jimin whines. "I had to wake up at 2:00 to cover someone else's shift at the shop. I'm exhausted."

Jimin logs off a half hour later at 9:00 on the dot, and Taehyung pouts, glancing at the two others. "It's boring without Jiminnie," he grouches. "You guys don't talk about anything interesting."

Jungkook glares at the boy. "We do! And excuse me, I thought I was your best friend!" Seokjin attempts to hide a chuckle as the youngest angrily crosses his arms. "And you," Jungkook adds, his anger now directed at Seokjin, "what are you laughing about?"

"I'm laughing at you," Seokjin answers bluntly, "and how cute you are when you're angry."

Taehyung bursts into a fit of laughter as Jungkook looks away, flustered. "I-I'm not cute!" he stammers, making the two others coo at him.

"Aww, look at our little Jungkookie getting all embarrassed," Taehyung giggles.

"I'm not—"

"You're blushing!" Taehyung squeals. "Jungkook's blushing!"

"I'm not—"

"Your face is so red," Seokjin chortles. "Does he always get this embarrassed?" he asks the other male.

"No," Taehyung answers simply. "I think it's just around you, hyung."

"It's not!" screeches Jungkook, mortified. "It- It's not just around you, Seokjin hyung, Tae's just being an idiot—"

"Stop yelling!" cries Taehyung, yanking out his earphones. "I'm going deaf from your screams."

Heat is practically radiating off of Jungkook's face by now as he ducks his head away and out of sight. "Tae, why are you so mean to me?" he complains.

"I'm not mean," Taehyung argues. "I'm just being honest."

Seokjin laughs. "Jungkook, am I really why you're getting embarrassed? I'm flattered."

Jungkook lets out a whine of embarrassment. "I'm logging off, see you guys later."

"You're not going to log off," Taehyung scoffs. "You're too determined to win—"

Jungkook logs off and closes his laptop, moving from his desk to his bed and curling up under his covers to recover from the trauma of being embarrassed in front of Seokjin.