thirty-four

"I quit," Jihyun groans, lying down on the floor. "I forfeit uni. I'll just live with my parents for the rest of my life, jobless and miserable."

"You're doing fine—"

"No, I'm not!" Jihyun exclaims. "Mr. Han gave me a C on that last assignment, and I'm gonna need at least a A on the next test, if I get A pluses on all the—"

"Noona, calm down," Jungkook laughs. "Everything is going to work out just fine."

Jihyun lets out a strangled screech, putting her earphones in. "I hate college!"

Jungkook snorts and is munching on a protein bar when the door opens and Seojun enters. "Hi, noona!"

"Hey, Jungkook." She stares at Jihyun for a few moments before looking at Jungkook questioningly, who shrugs. She prods Jihyun's leg with her toe, and the purple-haired girl's eyes crack open.

"Stop bothering me, I'm dying."

"Well, you can die later," Seojun retorts. "Get up and wash the dishes."

"But I did them yesterday!"

"And I did them for three days in a row before that. Now it's your turn." With a roll of her eyes, she drops her bag next to the couch and plops down next to Jungkook, peering at his laptop screen. "What are you doing?"

"A paper for economics," Jungkook sighs. "I only have one paragraph done. And it's due tomorrow."

"Do you need help?" Seojun leans in closer to the screen. "I can help, if you want." Her hair smells like vanilla.

Jungkook declines the offer with a shake of his head and an I'm good. Upon noticing something in Seojun's hair, he frowns and points it out. "I think there's flour in your hair again."

"Again?" Seojun pulls her hair over her shoulder and laughs sheepishly. "Ugh, that's what I get for working at a bakery."

"I should come and buy something sometime," Jungkook muses. "Do you guys sell cupcakes?"

Seojun nods enthusiastically. "Why wouldn't we? We've got cupcakes, muffins, pastries— My aunt's a great baker, you should—"

"Hey, Jungkook," Jihyun pipes up from her spot on the floor, "come listen to this song. This beat drops harder than my bank balance after tax day."

。。。

"Wow, this is great."

"Yeah, I told you!" Jungkook exclaims. "And it's cheap."

"Ah, the woes of college students," Seokjin laughs, poking the younger's cheek. "Always looking for the cheapest option."

"Well, yeah," says the teenager, giving Seokjin a look. "College tuition isn't cheap, mister."

Seokjin shakes his head at Jungkook, amused, and places some more food in his mouth. "You're so cute."

"Hyung," Jungkook groans, an involuntary grin stretching across his face as he averts his eyes, "I am nineteen years old, stop calling me cute."

"If I want to call you cute, I can," Seokjin argues. "I'm not lying."

Jungkook snorts. "Aghh, you're so annoying."

Seokjin is about to say something when a balled up napkin hits the side of Jungkook's face. Before the teenager can even process what is occurring, Seokjin is up and out of his chair, staring at the person who threw the napkin with such a icy glare that Jungkook is momentarily frightened by him. He turns to get a good look at whoever threw it, and is surprised to see a purple haired girl with a bright grin on her face heading towards them.

"Oh, Jihyun noona!"

"Hey, Jungkook."

Seokjin's expression clears. "You guys know each other?" He slowly sits back down, eyes darting back and forth between the two.

"Yeah," Jihyun says cheerfully. She turns to Jungkook. "I seem to have made a bad first impression on your friend here. He seems pretty pissed at me."

Seokjin doesn't say anything as he shoots Jungkook a curious look.

"Seokjin hyung, this is my neighbor, Jihyun," Jungkook introduces happily. "Jihyun noona, Seokjin."

"Nice to meet you." Jihyun puts her hand out.

"You, too," Seokjin says hesitantly, eyeing Jihyun's outstretched hand with suspicion before slowly reaching out and shaking it.

Jihyun smiles politely at Seokjin and turns to the teenaged boy again. "I should probably get going now." She picks up the napkin, which had landed on the table, and adds, "See you later. Have fun on your date!"

Jungkook is stunned by the parting comment, and stares after Jihyun's retreating figure, mouth opening and closing like a fish, unable to think of anything to say. He turns to Seokjin, a little embarrassed, and says, "Sorry, she's always like that."

Seokjin laughs, although it seems rather forced and somewhat bitter. "I might've yelled at her if you guys didn't know each other."

"W-Why?"

"She threw a napkin at your face!" Seokjin says loudly, lips pulled down in a disapproving frown. "That was very rude—"

"Hyung, it's fine," Jungkook says, patting the elder's hand reassuringly. "We're friends, it's just for fun."

Seokjin angrily shovels food into his mouth. "I don't like her."

Jungkook waves him off. "Don't worry, you'll get around to liking her. She's pretty funny. Seojun noona, too," he adds as an afterthought.

"Who's Seojun?"

"Jihyun noona's friend," Jungkook explains. "They live together, next door to me. Seojun noona's really nice."

Seokjin raises an eyebrow but doesn't make a comment. "Finish your food quickly," he says, changing the topic. "I'm going buy you new phone case; this one looks like it's going to fall apart at the touch."

Jungkook laughs sheepishly, glancing at his tattered and chipped case. "Thanks." He continues eating, looking up curiously when he notices Seokjin intently watching him. "What?"

"That sweater looks nice on you," Seokjin compliments, a smile playing on his lips. "Red suits you, Jungkookie."

"Ah." Jungkook flattens his bangs against his forehead, embarrassed by the sudden compliment. "Thanks, hyung."

Seokjin pokes his nose. "You're so cute."

。。。

A/N: ayyy double update (if less than 24 hours apart counts as a double update) but yeah I hope you guys like it!

also, I want your guys' honest opinions: how do you like the pacing of this so far? are things going too fast or slow? are there any gaping plot holes that you've noticed? and what do you think of this fic? (not just simple answers like "I like it" or "it's okay" or smth, I'm genuinely wondering if there's anything specifically you like/ dislike; it's okay if there's nothing though... lowkey insecure abt my writing rn, BOOST MY EGO PLS)

anyway, please vote and comment, thank you! see you guys next chapter!