thirty-eight

Jungkook anxiously drums his fingers on the table, checking his watch before taking a careful sip of his mocha. Jimin should be here any minute.

The door swings open, and along with a gust of cold air, Jimin enters the small café. Upon making eye contact and sending somewhat awkward and forced smiles at each other, Jimin slides into the chair across from Jungkook. "Hey."

"Hi."

"You wanted to talk?"

"Yeah." Jungkook nods. "About Taehyung."

The faint smile is immediately wiped off Jimin's face, and his eyes seem to widen a little. "W-What is there to talk about?"

Just get straight to the point. "Tae asked you if you guys could date, why did you say no?"

"Because," Jimin stammers, face pale, "I didn't want to."

"Really?" Jungkook presses, unconvinced.

Jimin swallows and nods. "Yeah."

Jungkook narrows his eyes. "You're a really bad liar, Jimin hyung."

No answer.

"Please don't ask me about this," Jimin pleads, brow creased in worry. "I just— Just leave it as I don't want to date Taehyung, okay? I'd rather not go into the details."

"Hyung—"

But Jimin is already up and out of the seat, hurrying out of the café.

Well, damn, that didn't go as planned.

。。。

A bell chimes as Jungkook pushes open the door to the bakery. Glancing around curiously and smiling broadly when he sees someone familiar, he says, "Noona!"

Seojun smiles. "Hey, Jungkook."

His eyes scan the various delicacies, stopping when he notices cupcakes with Mario cupcake liners. "Ooh, can I have one of those?" he excitedly requests, pointing.

"Yeah, sure," Seojun replies cheerfully. "Those ones are my favorite. The icing is strawberry flavored."

"Cool," Jungkook says, eyes twinkling excitedly. "How much is it?"

"You can have this one for free."

"Really?" Jungkook's face splits into a wide grin. "Thank you!"

Seojun smiles, sliding it across the counter with a small paper plate. "Only this one, though. Next time you're here, I'll need money."

"Thank you so much," Jungkook says again, staring at the cupcake gleefully.

Seojun laughs. "You're so cute."

An odd feeling arises within Jungkook at those words, and he stares at Seojun, blinking slowly. "W- What?"

She frowns. "Sorry. Do you not like being called cute?"

"Um—" Jungkook hesitates. "It's not that, you can call me cute. It just— threw me off for a second."

"Oh." A hesitant smile lifts the corners of Seojun's mouth up. "Well, are you going to eat the cupcake or not?"

Jungkook nods, peeling the paper off and raising the cupcake to his mouth—

Wait.

Seojun quirks an eyebrow. "Something wrong?"

"Um—" Jungkook is flustered. "I eat cupcakes really weirdly, so— just a heads up. Hope you don't mind."

Seojun shrugs. "As long as you eat all of it, I'm fine. Go ahead."

Feeling very self aware, Jungkook begins licking the frosting off, hastily stopping as his cheeks burn when Seojun starts giggling.

"You lick the frosting off?"

"I told you I ate them really weirdly—"

"That's so cute!"

There it is again. That odd feeling.

Jungkook looks away, heart beating a little louder and faster than usual. "I— I'll eat this at home. Do you have a box or something?"

"Okay, okay," Seojun says, trying to stifle her laughter, "I won't laugh at you. You can eat it here, peacefully."

"I have to go to my friend's house, actually," says Jungkook. "Like, right now."

Seojun looks skeptical, but relents, handing him a small box. "Fine. See you tomorrow, then?"

"Yeah, see you!" Holding the box carefully in his hands, he exits the shop and arrives at Taehyung's apartment a few minutes later.

The elder opens the door, smiling hopefully. "So you asked him?"

"Yeah."

"What did he say?"

Jungkook hesitates. "Let me come inside, I'll explain."

Taehyung's smile falters.

。。。

A/N: idk idk idk how to feel about this chapter??? was it good??? it was kind of a filler and super short? sorry ://

I'm sorta losing motivation to write this fic, please comment and BOOST MY EGO I would greatly appreciate it because I wanna keep writing this

as usual, excuse any typos, please and thank you! any votes and comments would be greatly appreciated! see you guys next chapter!