Chapter 1

Finding Tim or even Curly was the hard part. God knows where they'd be. Skipping school, jail, actually at school for once. I know I saw Tim last night but you'd be surprised at how fast they get jailed.

I was walking down the halls when I found a kid that was a Curtis kid. Ponyboy I think. I wasn't sure, it's been a while since I saw Soda's brothers. I stopped coming over after their parents died.

"Curtis!" I called out. I wasn't gonna just yell out Ponyboy. What if it wasn't his name? I'd look like an idiot. He was standing over with the Cade kid. He looked around and I waved him over. He said something to Cade before he walked over walking like a hood would.

"You're Cola's kid brother right?" I asked him.
"Soda? Yeah I am" he said all tough like.
"You got any idea where the Shepards are? You and Curly are buddies right?" I asked.
"Can't say that I do, Dallas would" the kid said.
"Any ideas where he's at?" I asked. "When he was over last night he said he was heading to Buck Merrill's place" He said.

"Merrill? Jesus Christ" I scoffed. Merrill drives Dallas over the edge most days on his own. But with Hank Williams too, wouldn't be surprised if I found Merrill dead.

"What trouble are you in that you need a Shepard boy?" He asked curious.
"Nothin' that concerns you. What's your name kid?" I asked getting impatient.
"Ponyboy" he said looking around. He must not remember me. I could see he was waiting for the shock or a laugh.
"Your parents sure were creative people, wonder what happened with Darrel" I smiled at him. Wasn't expecting that answer were ya kid.
"Thanks sport, see ya around" I said as I left for Buck Merrill's house.

I stood on the doorstep waiting for an answer. Probably isn't even up at this time of the day. I knocked again getting impatient before letting myself in. People were passed out all over the place while Hank Williams played faintly. The room was smokey and smelled like booze. Buck was passed out on the couch.

"Buck" I said shoving him.
"Get up" I said shoving him harder.
"Wha- when did you get here?" Buck asked barely awake.
"Where's Dallas" I asked in that mean tone we save for business. "What's it to ya?" He said trying to sound tuff.
"Where is Dallas, Buck? I swear I'll-"
"he's upstairs second door on your left" Buck answered. Buck Merrill is one if the biggest cowards I have the pleasure of knowing. Comes in handy when he has something I want.

I climbed up the stairs trying not to trip over the people and garbage. The second door on the left was open just enough to see Dallas Winston with his head under his pillow. Bucks blinds are shit blinds. Rays of sunlight still got into the room making it look like the lights were on.

"Hey Grizzley" I said as I knocked before stepping in.
"Who and what do you want!" He barked. Ugly in the morning I see. "It's Jane, where are the Shepard boys" I asked him. I wasn't afraid of Dallas like most and I got a good kick outta pissin' him off. Because that's what buddies do. Pisses him off to no end.

"You walked out?" He asked as he sat up groggily.
"I said I would didn't I?" I asked leaning against the part of wall by the door.
"I need a place to crash" I told him. "Aw poor muffin got kicked out on to the curb" he mocked.
"Do you know where they are or not Dallas?" I asked him sharply. "Easy there Princess, we're buddies ain't we?" He grinned.
"Sure thing pal" I said sarcastically and he scoffed.
"Tim's in the clinker for at least a month, Curly's was shipped off to a reformatory again last week. House is locked I tried last night and couldn't find the key- so unless you know where it is Buck's is your best bet" He smiled.
"How long till you're outta here?" I asked him.
"I dunno. I ain't got no place to either" he smiled.
"Don't you have the Curtis boys as buddies? They have space I'm sure"
"Yeah a couch. I ain't sleepin' on no couch unless I have to" he said. "Buck having another party?" I asked.
"Always is" Dallas said grimly. "Great. See you tonight then" I sighed as I headed out.
"Say, where you off to?" He asked.
"Make rep so's I don't die in the first week" I replied as I went down the stairs.
"Huh, I didn't know you had good ideas!" He yelled. I had to smile at that one.