Chapter 13

I stayed up until Dallas and Tim came back which wasn't too long after Jody went to sleep.

"How is he holdin' up? Jody cried for a solid hour" I asked Dallas by the front door. Tim was out by the car having another weed.

"Oh he cried his fair share" Dallas said. "Where is she? Tim doesn't want to come in if she's up, he thinks he hurt her" He explained. "He didn't hurt her, it's been a long day, that's all" I reassured. "She's out cold on the couch" I added. "You going into work tomorrow?" He asked snapping his fingers at Tim. He didn't want me to go in but I wanted more so than needed.

"Yeah, early morning tomorrow, my uniform is at Cola's" I sighed. "I'll come with you tomorrow morning, if Tim is up we can give Soda a ride, I'm sure he'll want out, Steve too" Dallas getting fed up with Tim. "Tim!" He finally yelled. Tim's head snapped up. "You're in the clear" Dallas said then came into the house.

"Babe" Dallas said as he walked through the front door. "There's a rumble a few nights from tonight, Socs verses greasers" He said sounding unsure if if should be telling me this or not. A rumble? We haven't had an organized fight in a long time. "And you can't be in this one" he added.

"And why not?" I asked defensively. "Because they said no ladies or it was off, besides I don't wan-" "to hell with what you want why don't they want us in?" I snapped. "Because it just wouldn't be fair for us to have you, and Jody and them to have who? Jessica Willis? Yeah that's pretty fair" Dallas grinned. I shoved him away trying to hide my smile.

"Is that what you and Tim have been doing when we weren't neck deep in shit?" I asked leaning against the doorframe of the living room. "You know-ahh what's her name? Valance. Charlie? Charlene?" He rambled on. "Cherry" I said deadpan. I had an unconditional hate for that girl. My hate for her started when she left Danny because she wanted to do a one date deal and marry sort of thing. She wanted to find "Mr. Right" in one go. Jokes on her because her Mr. Right died about oh four or five days ago. Anyway, it wasn't just that. She was one of those goody two-shoes people. You know the ones that just get on your nerves because they can't get their hands dirty or they cry or scream? Yeah that's her. And everything always worked out for her. She was a true Socs. There were some Socs closer to greaser than they were Socs but their parents had money so they stay. It wasn't all that common that Socs kids go greaser. When Jeff did it wasn't the first time it had happened. Anyway, Valance was the real deal. She was as Socs as the rich girls in the movies. You know the pretty horse big house loads of money bullshit? That's Valance.

"Yeah her, so she's spying on them for us" He said. I jumped so hard my shoulder slid off the frame and I almost fell. There was a last minute grab on the other side of the frame that kept me up. Valance helping us? Must feel bad because it's her dead boyfriends fault that Johnny and Pony are in this mess. "Aw muffin, boyfriend dies and gets two kids in a mess next thing you know she's running a charity" I said bitterly. "Yeah well this is the only charity I'll take part in. She's our means of knowing what's goin' on, and that's why people are getting jumped more" Dallas said.

I shook my head as I walked into the kitchen and sat across from Tim who had a glass of something. "How you holdin' up?" I asked as I sat down. "I'm fine" he said shortly and not very convincing either. "Lucky you gets the bed tonight" I said in a matter of fact way. "Nah, I'll take her up and she can have it" he said. "Think I'll do it now before I change my mind" he said in a joking manor with a crook smile. He wasn't going to change his mind, he never did for anything.

I checked his glass to see if he was drinking, if he was odds were he wasn't getting up when I needed a ride. But he wasn't, it was water.

He went in picked her up and jokingly said with a half hearted grin "If I don't come back down, tell Curly O'Neil still owes us money"