Starting Over

"Get it together," Matteo told himself as he paced all over the dressing room. It was the first time that he'll be seeing his ex-girlfriend again after eight months.

He was OK now. He can handle it. He's moved on.

Two quick knocks on the door. "Matteo, you're up next."

He looked up, almost startled. "Yeah. I'll be out in a second. " The production staff closed the door.

Matt checked his face on the mirror. He couldn't look tense. He couldn't show any sign of discomfort when he sees her. He breathed a long deep breath and with renewed resolve, turned to go.

An assistant quickly joined his side to guide him. Celebrity friends who were also part of the show greeted him as he went out. He smiled, threw his guys high fives, and gave his female friends kisses.

But he couldn't deny that with every step and turn, he felt his heart jump a little on the thought of seeing her there...

"Go in after the VTR, Xian's gonna enter through stage right after your part." The director patted his back and winked.

Matteo smiled wide. Suddenly he forgot about his fears and was just filled with excitement of going on stage and performing for his fans.

They were on the highest rating musical variety show in the Philippines, where every Saturday the brightest, most beautiful stars in the country would gather to perform.

He went in as queued.

Girls screaming. Lights dancing crazily. With his mic on his hand he felt strong and happy again. At the exact moment, he held the mic to his mouth and let the song out.

_________

"Good job man!" Xian had his arm around him as they walked off the stage. "Looks like all that triathlon thing did you good."

Matt laughed. He was glad to pull the number off. It was the first time that he got to sing live again. "Thanks man. I'm just glad I didn't blow it."

"Well the girls thought you were flawless. Let's get a drink!" Xian led him to the refreshments.

And then he saw her.

She was beautiful as ever. Long hair flowing against her angelic face. Maya was laughing uncontrollably, looking intently at the guy she was sitting close to, the guy she was dating now.

"Umm.... I think I'm not thirsty anymore." Xian said uncomfortably. Pretending not to see anything, he tried to lead his friend away from the unexpected sight.

But Maya already saw them.

"Hi!" She called out, a bit awkwardly.

Matt cleared his throat. "Hi."

Bernard nodded to him.

"Good to see you again." Maya said after a few seconds of deafening silence.

"It's good to see the both of you too." Matt flashed his pearly whites. The biggest smile he could possibly give. His heart beat wildly. "W-we'll head out," he stammered.

"See you around man." Bernard said before Matt and Xian turned away.

The two guys crossed the corridor. Matt felt like he was struck by thunder. He felt like his feet were made of stone but he couldn't stop walking. He had to get away.

"Sorry dude." Xian said. "Are you OK? I swear I didn't know they were.."

"It's cool man." Matt reassured him. "Anyway it's really good to see you. I'll call you out for triathlon soon."

Xian sighed with relief. "Haha. Sure, I'll ask Kim to go too."

Matt bid his friend goodbye and went to the dressing room to get his things.

He knew that she started going out with him a month ago. They would perform in dance numbers together before, both of them being good dancers.

So that was it. He finally saw them. It was finally over. He felt shaken by the truth. A little angry. Mostly sad. It was really over.

"Matt!!!!!" Nikki's face was beaming as she opened the door and ran to hug him.

"Hey!!!!" Matt said hugging her back. She was a really close friend from a show that they did way back.

"I heard you were here. I was looking all over for you. How've you been? You look good!" Nikki surveyed his tanned skin and lean body.

Matt told her how he's been training lately and joining marathons and triathlons. "It's cool actually. I'm dark now though." He joked.

"Don't get vain on me. It doesn't suit you. Anyways, I'll catch up with you soon. Sarah's hitting the stage in a while. I'm gonna watch. You should too if you have time!" Nikki quickly hugged him again.

Matt picked up his stuff and went out of the room. He had to pick up his mom after the show. He glanced at his watch and saw that he had enough time to watch Sarah perform.

Sarah was the biggest pop star in the country. Matt's been with her in a few projects and they were good friends then but it's been a long time since they've been in touch. He looked up to her as a singer.

Matt found a spot behind the prod staff. He nearly laughed with the fans screaming Sarah's name rabidly. The energy in the room was so high. Everyone was excited with the anticipation.

"Finally, the woman that you've been waiting for... To sing her first single from her new album, Our very own popstar princess... Sarah Geronimo!!!" Matt clapped with the fans and cheered for his old friend.

The music started, a strong R&B rhythm was heard. Sarah emerged, red and blue lights grazing her face. She sang the first line, the sweetest sound in the world. The fans were going mad.

Matt cheered with them. He could see the passion in her eyes as she teared the stage with her performance. The screams got louder after she hit one perfect note after another. She wasn't just singing it, she was feeling it.

He could feel her heart breaking on that stage. His smile faded and his heart went out to her. He knew that she always performed from the heart. But this was different. She was singing her whole being out. She was singing for her lost love. She was singing for Bernard.

Sarah finally opened here eyes after the last note. Smiling with childlike eyes, she bowed to her fans. And just like that, the sorrow was gone and she was back to the loveable girl everyone knew.

Matt clapped until his hands hurt. He felt proud of her. Then he took his bag and went to go.