Love is a Verb

The next three months proved Matt to be the most devoted suitor. He believed that courting Sarah was a lot like running a race. To succeed he just had to keep his eyes on the prize and push beyond his limits.

And it was one race that he had to win.

He never courted a girl before. Love was just an easy game where he was a hustler. But with someone like Sarah, Matt knew that he had to have a plan. Matt even made a list of things that he committed to do for her:

1. Get her family's trust

2. Teach her to drive

3. Make her smile everyday

4. Give her a pet

5. Sing for her

6. Introduce her to Lola Pacing

7. Take her dancing

He thought he was doing pretty well with the first item. He even talked to her dad to ask if he can court her, something he never did this for any of the girlfriends he had before. He also asked Xian and Kim to go with them during their dates, because he knew that Sarah's parents were more comfortable if they didn't go alone.

He never let a day pass without giving her something to smile about. He gave every effort to make her feel special even if work got in the way of seeing each other. One time when she had to go to Dubai, he had her hotel room filled with white roses so she would still think of him even if they were apart.

Tonight he was going to get another item done. He stared at the cute little pooch at the passenger seat and smiled with satisfaction. "Be extra cute and make her fall for me OK chump?" The dog barked at him.

He parked in front of Sarah's house and called her.

"Hello... Pauwi ka na?" Sarah asked. He just came off a shooting for a soap and barely got to talk to her the whole day. It was 1AM.

"Labas ka muna sandali." Matt said looking at her window. The light was still on.

"Hay nako. Nandyan ka????"

He saw Sarah look out of the window and waved.

"Tsk... Imbis na umuwi ka na at magpahinga. Pasaway ka talaga Matt Matt. Sige sandali lang."

Matt Matt. He loved hearing her call him that way.

He went out of the car and waited. She soon came out. He thought he was the cutest thing in her pambahay. After a hard day's work, there was nothing like seeing the girl he loved to take all the stress away.

"O bakit ka nandito?" Sarah asked looking up at Matt.

"Tinatanong pa ba yun. Syempre I won't last a day without you!"

"Parang mabaho yung pick up line na yon a." Sarah laughed. "Lika nga sa loob. Kape ka muna para di ka makatulog sa daan." She began to turn towards the house.

Matt grabbed her arm to stop her. He didn't mean to pull hard, but her face ended up touching his chest. Matt caught her by the elbows. He smirked at her and teased, "Di ko na kailangan ng kape. Power hug ang gusto ko."

Sarah laughed and stepped back. "Style mo bulok."

"Kelan kaya kita ma-hhug?" He asked raising his eyebrow.

"Three months ka pa lang nanliligaw hug na agad..."

"O sige na nga. Eto na lang muna hug mo." He opened his car and took out the furry little fellow.

Sarah looked at him, surprised. She then looked at the tiny dog and patted its head. "Awwwww.... Hello puchukoy...." She giggled.

"Cute no? First baby natin."

"Sira." Sarah glared at him. Matt gave her the dog to carry.

"What will you name him? Dapat related sa kin a. Dahil ako ang daddy."

Sarah thought about it. "Buntot!!!"

"Buntot??!"

"Palagi ka kasi nakabuntot sa kin e." Sarah laughed.

"Di man lang Cutie o Honeybun o Pogi???"

"Hello Buntot!!! I'm Sarah! Pogi daw yung mama na naghatid sayo? Pogi na ba yun?"

"Ay ang sama talaga...."

"Hehe joke lang. Thank you Matt Matt!!! Sobrang cute!!!" Sarah gushed, rubbing her face against the dog.

"Buti pa si Buntot." Matt said scratching his head.

"Hmph. Umuwi ka na nga."

Matt put a hand behind her back and walked her to the door. "Good night Buntot. Good night pretty girl." He touched her nose and kissed her on the forehead.

He noticed how surprised Sarah was when his lips touched her skin. "G-Good night... Ingat ka. Text pag-uwi!" She said nervously and immediately closed the door.

"What a baby." He laughed as he went back to his car.

--------

Bernard felt stupid.

After giving Maya confused excuses on why he couldn't come to dinner with her family, after battling with himself on whether to call Sarah or not, he finally followed his heart and drove to her place.

All the gossip about her and Matt was driving him crazy. He wanted to hear it from her.

He didn't want her back. He just wanted to know if it was true. At least, that was what he kept telling himself.

He was already near her house when a familiar car sped past him. He had to slow down and park across the street.

The tall guy that came out of the car was Matteo without a doubt.

He was watching from afar when Sarah stepped out of the house to meet him. Bernard saw them talk and laugh and hold each other close.

Bernard felt so stupid that he had to laugh at himself. But the pain in his heart was unmistakable, he was achingly jealous.

Then his phone rang.

"Babe... Are you home?" It was Maya.

He was thankful for the call. It brought him back to reality. He had a great girl beside him. What the hell was he doing?

"On the way na babe. I already got the confirmation I was looking for."

"Um... Ok... Grabe namang business yan. Middle of the night talaga ang meeting? Anyway. Drive safely."

"Yeah." Bernard had his eyes locked on to the couple when they kissed good night. A sharp pain tugged at his heart. "Babe..."

"What?" Maya asked.

"I'm sorry if I ever made you doubt me in anyway. I just wanna promise you that I'll always be here. I'll make everything work."

"Huh? Hon, you're making me worry."

"There's no reason to worry anymore." He said as he started the car. "Love you." He put the phone down and drove away.