Secrets

It was 2AM and the party was just starting. Bernard stretched out on his seat, a cold bottle of beer in his hand. He watched Maya from afar dancing with their friends.

Crazy lights illuminated her face and reflected on her perfect hair. He caught her eye and she smiled at him. "Come on!", her lips read.

Bernard smiled back and shook his head. He didn't feel like dancing.

She's really beautiful he thought. Maya looks exactly like his idea of how a dreamgirl looks like growing up. And now she was his. They've been together for two months.

She's fun to be with and she's the sweetest thing in the world. She takes really good care of him. She makes him feel wanted and she's so proud of him. Before her he felt so empty and sad. She really saved him...

He leaned back and closed his eyes. His mind rushed back to the events that noon- turning around to see Sarah preparing for stage, looking into her eyes, seeing nothing but sadness and hurt. His heart twisted inside him all over again.

"Hey." Maya said, standing next to him. "You OK? Wanna get out of here?"

He opened his eyes. "No... I'm just a little tired. We can stay."

Despite his answer, Maya took her purse and grabbed her boyfriend's hand. "Let's go home. You need to rest."

Bernard and Maya said goodbye to their friends and made their way to the car.

"Honey, you've been silent all day." Maya pointed out as her house came into view.

"Sorry babe. Pagod lang talaga."

Maya looked worried. "OK... I hope it's not because..."

Bernard tightened his grip on the steering wheel and held his breath. Did she notice that he became uneasy the moment he saw Sarah at the studio? He tried his best to hide it... No, she couldn't have!

"... you saw Matt earlier." Maya continued. She looked at Bernard with concern and pressed her hand on his.

They came to a full stop in front of her house. Bernard sighed in relief. He smiled apologetically. "No sweetie. It was just a really long day. I have no problem with Matt at all." He held her hand and kissed it. "Sorry I was bad company tonight. I'll make up for it tomorrow."

Maya smiled. "Oh thank God. At least we have that over with. And you were the perfect date except for that soplado vibe you had going."

They kissed and said good night.

Bernard watched her as she gracefully walked to the door. She turned around as she approached it and waved goodbye. He waved back.

An empty condo greeted him when he got home. He kicked his shoes off and took another bottle of beer. He sat on the couch, took out his phone, and finally did what he wanted to do all day. He logged on to Youtube and looked up Sarah's performance earlier.

There it was. With sweaty hands he tapped to play the video.

Tears rolled on their own while he watched and listened to the song. She sang about loose ends- the pain of not having closure- of an unfinished business that continued to hold her down.

Good job Bernard, he told himself. You really messed her up.

Memories came rushing in along with old hopes and dreams. For the first time in months, he found himself replaying the events of long ago. What if he didn't tire out in waiting for her? What if he didn't walk away? What if he refused to stop being there for her even if she said she wanted out?

The song ended and she graciously bowed to adoring fans. Bernard smiled his heart swelling with pride. "Congrats baby girl. Galing," he said out loud to the beaming face onscreen.

Then his phone beeped. It was surely Maya checking up on him. Wiping away his tears he swiped away from the browser to his inbox, just as he moved away from the past and snapped back to reality.

Taking Chancesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें