A Love for a Lifetime

Matt wanted to stop for coffee before going on their way home. Later on, Sarah found herself walking along a breathtaking street paved with trumpet trees, a cup of hot tea on one hand and Matt's own hand holding the other.

Somehow Matt knew that the garden park would be empty of people. There was just the two of them, walking under the moonlight between rows of pink trees that seemed to dance with the wind. It was cold, but Matt's nearness kept her warm.

It was enchanting. It was absolutely magical.

She was amazed at how Matt turned something ordinary like having coffee to a fairy tale moment.

"I'm guessing that you like it here." Matt said, smiling at her.

Sarah nodded. "Parang pelikula."

She was ecstatic to be with this perfect guy in a picture perfect place. It was like a dream that she didn't want to wake up from.

But still, she couldn't help feeling jealous of the other girls that Matt brought there before her. Maybe it was because of that irritating idea of a cherished ex-girlfriend that he planted in her head earlier.

"Pano mo naiisip yung mga ganito... Siguro marami ka ng nadala ditong babae no? Siguro dito mo sila dinadala pag magpo-propose ka na." Sarah said in an accusing tone.

"Well if you must know... Teka, ilan na nga ba sila?" Matt stopped to think with his forehead creased, as if he needed to summon all his brain cells to remember the count.

Sarah tugged at his hand. "Sabi ko na nga ba e!" She wished she didn't sound so disappointed, but she did.

"Joke lang!!!" Matt smirked and pulled her closer to his side. "The truth is I've been keeping this place a secret. Sabi ko, pag nakilala ko na yung tamang babae, dadalin ko sya dito."

Matt bumped his shoulder on hers. "I've wanted to bring you here for the longest time. Kaya wag ka na mag-iisip ng kung anu-ano."

He was looking straight ahead but he kept on caressing her hand with his thumb."If you wanna know if I've loved anyone as much as I love you, the answer is zero. Wala."

He paused and looked deep into her eyes. "Ikaw lang talaga." He said everything like it was a matter of fact.

Sarah bit back a smile. She was very satisfied with his answer. "E ano pa bang masasabi ko sa speech mo... Daig mo pa ang kumakandidato."

Matt laughed. "Matt Guidicelli po... Tumatakbong husband to be... At your service Maam..." He bowed exaggeratedly. Sarah had to giggle.

Marry him? Sarah felt herself blush at the thought. Why not... It would be lovely to be with him everyday. He made their first day as a couple unbelievable. She knew in her heart that Matt could make the rest of their life together even more amazing.

He would teach their son to go-kart and she will teach their daughter to sing. Even Buntot will have a family of his own...

"OA ka ha. Kasasagot ko pa lang sayo kasal na agad..." She said shyly. But her words didn't exactly reflect how she felt inside at that instant. Standing beside him, being close to him- it was how she wanted her everyday to be like.

"Don din naman tayo pupunta..." Matt said with confidence, taking her hand. "Until then, I'll wait patiently and enjoy every second beside you."

They found a bench and sat there until they finished their drink. Sarah took the chance to ask Matt about his childhood and his family, especially Lola Pacing. Matt told her the funniest stories and they laughed until they were tired. She listened intently, wanting to remember everything about the man she loves.

He put an arm around her and she leaned her head on his shoulder. "Pwede bang dito na lang tayo. Wag na tayo umuwi ng Manila. Ayaw na kita isoli e." She felt him kiss her lightly on the top of her head.

Sarah laughed. He always said the cutest things. But she did feel the same way. Tomorrow they'll have to face the hustle and bustle again. There was a sinking feeling in her knowing that the day was coming to an end.

She looked up at him and tapped a finger on his cheek. "Babalik naman tayo dito ulit diba... Wag ka na malungkot."

He put both arms around her and hugged her tight. "Can I just put you in my pocket and take you with me wherever I am?" He sounded so sincere, like a kid asking for his favorite toy.

She kissed him on the cheek. It was something that came to her naturally.... "Ang sweet talaga ng Matt Matt ko." She locked her arms around his waist."Thank you for today. Sobrang saya ko."

"Bakit nagth-thank you ka na." Matt faced her and leaned close. "The day's not yet over..." He held her by the chin, his eyes locked on her lips.

"Until this..."

He turned her face towards him and pressed his lips on hers. Sarah was caught by surprise, but he was so gentle and so warm that she had to close her eyes and return his tenderness.

It was the softest and sweetest kiss.

It was the perfect fairy tale ending.

"I love you..." Matt's forehead was against hers, their noses touching. They still had their eyes closed, both still caught in a daze. "Ikaw lang... Always..." He whispered.

Sarah wanted to keep every detail of that moment in her memory forever. The feel of his face between her hands, the sound of his breathing, the touch of his lips... Every sweet word that came out of his mouth... She opened her eyes and gazed at his face.

For the first time, she said what her heart has been longing to scream out. "I love you too..."

--------

The concert was about to start. Sarah could hear thousands of people waiting for her. Once again, all eyes will be on her as she bares her soul to the world.

Her heart was beating fast but she knew that she was ready for this.

She was different, she was whole.

Matt's love changed her in so many ways. She will not breathe a word about him during the show. But every song she will sing for him, the one person that mattered most.

Because she was so grateful. Because she felt so loved.

The drumbeat came, and the platform was raised. Light and smoke everywhere. Crowds cheering screaming her name.

Sarah opened her eyes.

It was showtime.