The Courage to Believe

Christmas soon came around the corner. For Sarah, that meant preparing for holiday themed photo shoots, brushing up on the lyrics and melody of the songs of the season, and getting ready for the grand Christmas concert that her network held every year.

She remembered how she met the previous years' concerts with dread, jealousy, and even angst, since being there meant being around Bernard. During those years, Matt was there as an almost insignificant acquaintance. This year, his being there meant all the difference in the world for her.

Because of Matt, all the pain that kept her from being civil to Bernard and Maya disappeared. Now she was confident that she can look them in the eye and greet them a Merry Christmas from the bottom of her heart.

Such was her surprise when she found Bernard at rehearsals that morning. She thought that she will be practicing a song number for the concert. She had no idea what he was doing there.

She found Bernard talking with the director. His eyes beamed when he caught sight of her.

"Hello, Sa! Galing mo sa concert a," he approached and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

Sarah tried to hide her discomfort. It was true that she wanted to ease back into being friends again with Bernard, but it was still hard not to feel awkward. "Thanks nga pala sa panonood... Ginagawa mo dito?"

"You'll be performing together, my dear! Good morning, love..." Direk Dominic came up to her for a beso beso.

"Di po yata nakwento sa kin ni Nanay a..." Sarah said, trying not to sound like she didn't want to perform with her ex.

"I think Mayette was against it til the very end... Sorry Baby Bernard," Direk Dom touched Bernard on the shoulder as if to console him, "Pero I think management wants this talaga e..."

Bernard was looking down at the floor with an awkward smile, obviously hurt by the fact that Nay Mayette still bore ill feelings towards him, then he looked at Sarah as if he was sorry that this was happening.

Sarah forced a smile. "Ah di naman po siguro. Baka nakalimutan lang talaga banggitin ni Nanay. So, ano pong plano?"

She knew that she was going to sing "Baby It's Cold Outside". But she didn't have the slightest idea that the male part will be sung by Bernard. It was going to be the first time that they will be reunited onstage. Her hands shook as Direk Dom gave them directions.

She was more than ready to be friendly towards Bernard, but she was in no way prepared to act all lovey-dovey with him in front of thousands of people and at the sight of her boyfriend!

"Ano na lang sasabihin ni Matt...?" This question was all she could think of as she went up the stage, followed by the guy that she avoided for the longest time. It must have been written all over her face as well because Bernard was looking at her with concern.

"Sorry Sarah. I swear, di ko rin alam to. Bayaan mo, kakausapin ko si Matt para wala syang maisip na masama," Bernard said good-naturedly.

"Baka magselos si Maya ha... Sabihin mo wala lang to..." Sarah said, not wanting his girlfriend to be angry with her for nothing.

Bernard let out a laugh. "Hay nako, ano kayang naisip nina Boss Mark. Baka mabugbog pa ko nito a."

"Grabe ka naman. Mabait si Matt. Hindi ganon yon," said Sarah, quick to defend her boyfriend's character.

"Masaya na talaga kayo?" He asked quietly.

"Oo... Masayang masaya..." Sarah confirmed, without any hint of rubbing it to his face like what she planned when she was still bitter, but saying it in a plain and sincere manner because it was the truth.