The Gift

"Good morning Cebu!"

Sarah stretched her arms and legs, her eyes already half open to the luxurious daylight that flowed into her room. She yawned and gave thanks to the big guy upstairs for all her blessings, in particular for the chance to perform in Matt Matt's hometown.

Still sprawled in the big, comfy bed, she reached for her phone.

"Maayong buntag tart! How do you like Cebu?"

She smiled. The fact that Matt grew up here made the place even dearer to her heart. On the way to the hotel from the airport, she looked at everything with newfound interest, trying to picture how Matt was before they even knew each other.

"Ganda dito sweetie. Wish you were here!" she texted back. Matt couldn't be there because he had a photo shoot.

"I'll show you around next time. Are you up for breakfast?"

Sarah determined to sit up and pull herself away from the wonderful bed that invited her to stay there for as long as she can. "Oo nakabangon na. Papasyal kami nina Eggpie at Kiara sandali. San maganda pumunta?"

Sarah heard someone knock lightly on her door.

"Gising na! Teka lang!"

Sarah stood up and opened the door. Matt's smiling face greeted her, and for a moment she found herself thinking if she was still in bed dreaming.

"Breakfast tayo, tart!" The imaginary guy that looked like Matt said with a Bisayan twang, ruffling her hair. And then she became sure that she was awake, that it was really Matt in front of her, and that she looked like a mess in her pajamas.

Embarassed, her hand immediately flew to her eyes to make sure that there was no morning glory on them. "Sira ka! Bakit di ka nagsabi na pupunta ka? Akala ko may trabaho ka?" she said, pushing at his chest.

"Aww... May photo shoot talaga ko bukas dito kay Kenneth Cobonpue no!" Matt said, rubbing the part of his chest that Sarah punched. "Naawa lang ako sayo kasi baka mamiss mo ko kaya pumunta na ko ng mas maaga."

"Ok fine... Sabi ko nga. Ang pogi mo kasi masyado! Buti naawa ka sa kin!" She said, pinching his cheeks. She was pleased to give in, thinking about the effort that Matt gave just to be there for her.

Nanay Mayette called out to the couple, "Guys kung may lakad kayo, bilisan nyo lang. 2PM call time natin mamaya. Get her back here for lunch Matty ha."

"Oh my. Ang sweet naman ng the one that got away ko... Talagang pinuntahan pa ang prinsesa dito!" Eggpie just stepped out of his room, smiling at the sweet sight that Matt and Sarah made.

"Syempre... Di naman ako matitiis nito e," Sarah said wrapping her arms around Matt. Eggpie stuck his tongue out at her. They've been playing the jealousy game as a joke since Matt became her boyfriend.

"Hay, sige na, ikaw na! At ako na naman ang mamataymatay sa inggit! May lakad pala tayo e... Kiara nako, gising ka na girl!" Eggpie said, running back to their room.  

Everyone was ready in less than hour, except for Nay Mayette who had to make sure that everything was ready for the concert that night.

Sarah was glad to sit beside Matt and listen to his stories about the places that they passed by. Matt took them to their family's house, a classy wooden structure that overlooked the beach.

Kiara and Eggpie gushed at how beautiful his place was.

"Super nice naman ng place nyo Matt!" Kiara said, taking off her sunglasses to get a better look at everything.

"Lika nga Kiara, picturean mo ko sa mga muebles... Sosyalan o spiral staircase parang sa Cinderella." Eggpie said, taking her hand to lead her in.

Sarah on the other hand gravitated towards the piano at the living room. There were pictures of Matt playing on top of it. "Nagp-piano ka pala sweetie?"