fourteen

e m i l y

We left the bonfire and walked back into the party.

As we walked further into the crowd some guy walked over to us.

"Ethan." he said looking me straight in the eyes.

"Emily." I said a lot less awkwardly than expected. he smiled at me and we didn't say anything for a little while.

"Shawn." I heard Shawn say from next to me and slip his hand into mine.

Ethan looked down at our hands and judging by his face, he felt pretty awkward.

"I should've known, you're way too pretty to be single." Ethan said to me.

"yeah, ." Shawn said looking straight at him. they were about the same height so their eyes were on the same level.

Ethan looked at Shawn for a second, inhaled, and then looked at me. "well," he exhaled, "if this doesn't work out, gimme a call." Ethan said to me handing me a napkin with his number on it.

after ethan turned around and started to walk away, shawn took the napkin from me.

he walked up to ethan, tapped him on the shoulder, and stuck the napkin in his shirt pocket. Ethan pushed Shawn back, but shawn responded calmly.

"I'm not gonna fight you, because Emily and I are gonna work out just fine." he said and walked back to me.

he slipped his hand into mine and continued walking, bringing me with him.

"so what was that?" I asked him.

"what was what?" he asked cluelessly and I stared at him waiting for a real answer.

"he was hitting on you, em." Shawn answered.

I laughed, "and you think i get jealous."

"I'm not jealous." Shawn answered confidently.

"whatever you say." I said smiling.

"you wanna drink?" shawn asked me.

I shrugged and he stared at me. "I'm gonna take that as a yes." he got closer to my face, "be right back." and at that he walked away.

I smiled to myself as I watched him walk away.

"hey Emily!" I heard someone say from behind me.

"bree!" I smiled when I saw who it was. "what's up?"

"not much, just trying have a good time." she answered, "who'd you come with?"

"my boyfriend, jaymi, and a few other friends." I answered.

"oh yeah, I heard about Shawn." she said winking.

"you know him?" I asked her.

"duh, " she whispered, "he's famous."

I tilted my head in confusion.

"you know, like Shawn mendes. the singer. " she said as if I should know what she's talking about.