Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I started with fire since it seemed to come the easiest for me.  As I looked down at my hand, it started to warm and then the flame appeared in my palm.  I heard Arin and Variel gasp. 

“Awesome,” the twins said together. 

“That’s not all she can do,” Zack said, chuckling.  “Show them everything else.”

“Okay,” I said, extinguishing the flame. 

Immediately, I felt my hand cool and the water droplet form from the molecules in the air.  I made it as big as I could – it was about the size of a large orange – before it stopped growing.  That was one thing I was going to have to work on.

“Then there’s that,” I said, letting the ball of water hover in the air above my palms. 

“Sweet,” the twins said. 

Instead of letting it drop to the floor, I just reversed the effects and let it spread back into molecules again.  Then I pulled the air from around us, making everyone’s hair blow back in the breeze.  Since I’d wanted to try something before, I decided to test it out in front of them.  Besides, they wouldn’t know if it worked or not. 

I pulled the breeze toward me and concentrated on my hands.  I tried to pull them together to form a ball like I did with the water.  And when I could see it forming, I started to smile.

“I don’t know what I can do with earth, though,” I said.  “I haven’t really been able to test it out.”

“Here,” Arin said, getting up to grab a dead potted plant that was sitting by the window.  “If you can control earth, then you should be able to control plants as well.”

“Alright,” I said, taking it from her. 

I’ll admit I was a little nervous this time since I didn’t really know what I needed to do.  I held the bottom of the pot in my left hand while I reached out to touch it with my right.  My fingertip started to tingle as I touched one dead leaf and I could see it start to turn green where I did.  Before I knew it, the entire plant had come back to life. 

“Well, it’s good to know I can do more than cause earthquakes,” I said, holding the plant out in front of me.

“That was you?” Variel asked, eyes wide. 

I nodded.  “I think so,” I said.  “But I’d rather not test that theory.”

All of them laughed and Zack stood up to stand beside me.

“I don’t think that’s the only thing you can do,” he said, looking at me and then at the others.  “By what you told Dr. Fitzpatrick about your visions – the one in the cafeteria and at the hospital – I think you can see the future also.”

My eyes widened as my mind replayed those two visions.  “You mean D.C. is going to be attacked?” I asked. 

“What?” everyone shouted.  Well, everyone but Owen.  He was just looking at me with his jaw set.

Sighing, I told them everything that happened in my visions.  I left out the Owen part, though, since it would kind of be embarrassing to let him know that I was with him in it.  They all watched me with wide eyes. 

“This is crazy!” Talon exclaimed.

“Totally crazy!” Maverick said. 

“I don’t think it’s going to be happening anytime soon,” I said.  “Maybe in a couple of months.”