Chapter 12

Chapter 12

When my vision ended, I opened my eyes to see the ceiling with everyone standing over me, worried looks on their faces.  But there was one that I could see the closest.

“What happened?” Owen asked, staring down at me.

My heart was still beating a mile a minute as I stared at him.  He was above me, looking just perfectly fine...but then this wasn't my vision.

Tears started burning in my eyes as I looked at him.  The hard look on his face softened when he saw them.  It was the first time that he looked at me that way.  I reached up as my tears overflowed and place my hand on his chest, right over his heart. 

At first, it was beating just a little fast.  But then when I touched him, it sputtered and started beating even faster.  My mind didn’t register that it was his reaction to me at first, only that his heart was beating strong, unlike in my vision.

I couldn’t just lay there with him leaning over me.  I pushed against his chest, catching him off guard.  He fell back, landing on the floor, as I jumped up and rushed for the front door. 

Once I was outside, I leaned back against one of the pillars and closed my eyes, trying to get my heartbeat under control.  My mind was too busy running through my vision to realize that someone had followed me out.

And by the electric feeling that was coming from in front of me, I knew it was Owen.

“Just go away, Owen,” I said, biting the inside of my lip as my eyes began to burn with tears again. 

“No, I want you to tell me what happened in your vision,” he said.  He didn’t say it in a mean way, though, just like he meant it.

I shook my head, still not opening my eyes.  If I saw his face, the only thing I would be able to picture would be him being stabbed in the stomach by the guy with the swords.  I didn’t want to see that again. 

I felt him reach up toward my face, but I never felt his skin touch mine. 

“Lola,” he said quietly. 

My heart started beating even faster when he said my name.  I was pretty sure it was the first time that I’d ever heard him say it other than in my visions.  But hearing it in real life…rightin front of me…I thought I was going melt.

“Why are you calling me by my name now?” I asked quietly.

I heard him chuckle.  “Shut up,” he said. 

My lips turn up at the corners as I slowly opened my eyes.  My breath caught in my throat at the realization of how close he was standing.  Those eyes...I was now completely lost in them.  They were even more memorizing up close.

The electricity that always seemed to be between us was crackling at a new intensity.  I think Owen felt it, too, because I could basically feel his heart beating just as fast as mine.  His fingertips were just centimeters away from brushing my cheek and I could feel the little electric pulses caressing my cheek.  It didn't hurt like I would have thought it would, like the first time I touched him when I shook his hand that first day.  It felt so...right.

I couldn't take it anymore.  “Why can't you just touch me already?” I whispered. 

His breathing was in time with mine.  We were so close that I could feel the heat coming off of his body.  I wanted so much just to lean forward and wrap my arms around him.  Why, though...?  I was having trouble coming up with the answer to that. 

“I can't,” he said, just as quiet as I did.

I nodded slowly, still looking at him.  “Yes, you can,” I said.  “Please, just do it.”