Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I didn't even look at Adrian again as the guys in suits came back into the room to bring us out.  The truth is I was pissed.  I didn't want to be on a plane with him for God knew how many hours on a cross country flight.  There would be no doubt that he would try and say something to me, but I didn't want him to. 

I was also pissed about the reason he had come to school.  He probably got Principle McAdams to make me show him around just so he could get closer to me and eventually find out just what I could do.  He didn't have to wait that long, that’s for sure.

Everyone who was in the hallway as we walked toward the front door watched us again.  They gave us a wide berth again, though a little wider this time.  Probably because of the look on my face.  I was not in the mood to be messed with.  If they did, who knew what would have happened.  I might have gone all crazy on them and they would have to start rebuilding half of the Pentagon.

I felt a hand grab onto mine and I looked up to see Trygg staring down at me as we stopped in front of our caravan of black SUVs. 

"Everything's going to be okay," he said to me. 

Our group of six stood in a close circle.  I could feel the eyes of Adrian and the guys in suit staring at us.  I didn't pay them any attention.

"A few days, guys," I said, looking at them.  "A few days and we'll all be together again and back at the house like none of this ever happened."

Talen shook his head.  "Except we'll have three other people living with us," he said.

I rolled my eyes.  "Well, aside from that," I said.  "But just everyone be careful.  You know that Alex and his people will be trying to get them also.  The last thing we need is for one of us to get hurt."

Maverick grinned.  "Is this the part where we all have a group hug?  Because that's how you're making it seem."

I rolled my eyes again as Variel smacked the back of his head.

"She’s just trying to make sure that we're all going to be safe," she said.  "Jesus!"

"His name is Maverick," Talen said, grinning.

All of us laughed except for Variel.  "Oh, my God!" she said.  "You're so weird."

"You're still getting my name wrong," he said.  "It's Maverick.  It's spelled M-A-V..."

Variel gave him another smack on the back of his head, as well as one for Talen, who was uncontrollably laughing.

"You guys are idiots," Trygg said, grinning.

"Alright!" I said, still laughing.  "Just everyone please be careful and we'll all see each other in a few days."

Everyone was still smiling as they went off toward the SUVs that they'd be riding to the airport in.  But when I turned, my smile immediately disappeared when I saw Adrian walking toward me.

"You guys seriously do act like family," he said.

My eyes narrowed at him.  "That's because they are my family.  They're the ones that were there for me when everything happened.  My parents weren't there and my brother was trying to take down the government, so I wouldn't say they were."

He sighed, staring at me.  "You're not going to forget that I lied to you and your hatred for me has come back, huh?" he asked.

I pretended to be thinking for a moment before I nodded.  "Yes, I would say that," I said.

"And you’re not going to forgive me for any of that, are you?"

I shook my head and opened the door to the SUV, sliding inside.  Two guys in suits were already in the front, starting it up, and Adrian got in beside me.  I heard him sigh yet again when I moved over all the way toward the other door to lean against it. 

The drive to the airport was kind of like the drive to D.C., though our caravan of SUVs was shorter, but only by a few.  Police cars escorted us, blue lights flashing, and cars moved out of our way like they did before. 

When we got to the airport, we didn't go through the inside and though the terminal like I thought we would.  Instead, we just drove right onto the tarmac and toward the three private jets that were waiting for us.  When we stopped, I got out before Adrian did and shut the door. 

Looking up, I could see people watching from the glass windows of the airport and planes that were sitting on the runway, waiting for takeoff that we were obviously holding up.

"Let's go," one of the guys in suits said to me, grabbing my arm.

I yanked it out of his grasp and narrowed my eyes at him.  "I'm pretty sure I can walk just fine by myself, thank you," I said.  "Besides, I'm sure you know just what I'm capable of, so I wouldn’t mess with me."

He smirked and stepped back.  "Go on then," he said.

Turning on my heels, I walked toward the jet where it was sitting there just waiting for me to climb the stairs and inside. 

I didn't even look around when I got inside of it.  I just went to sit in one of the plush leather seats and buckled up before closing my eyes.  I heard Adrian talking to one of the pilots and then him walk past me, taking a seat somewhere behind me.  I didn't care, though.  All I wanted to do was go get this little girl in Portland and then head back home.