Chapter 20

Chapter 20

The first thing that I saw was three guys.  I couldn't see their faces and when they spoke, their voices were distorted so I couldn't tell if I knew them or not. 

They were in what looked like a high tech room with computers and monitors all along one wall.  One of them was sitting in a chair in front of one of those monitors.

"So this is it?" one of the guys who were standing behind him asked. 

The guy nodded.  "Yes, this is it," he said.  "This is Project Infinity.  We’ve got it floating in cyberspace right now so no one can find it without the code, which will only be us."

"So what exactly is it?" the same guy asked.  He was looking at the computer screen and I could see the code for the program and a list of names underneath. 

The other one standing behind the chair answered. "It's a government project that was thought up almost twenty years ago.  The Secretary of Defense hadn't really started developing it until about three years ago.  And if we hadn't broke in and got it, it would have gone into effect in the next two week.  They still haven't figured out that we stole it, which is a good thing."

"But that doesn't answer my question," the guy said.  "What is it?"

"Through genetic testing at birth, they've been able to track everyone who has powers like us.  There are hundreds of us just here in the United States.  Who know how many there would be in the world?”

“Before we stole it, Project Infinity, just like I said, was going to go into effect in about two weeks,” the other said then.  “Government officials working on this project were going to go around the country, picking up any of the Ingenium and bring them to D.C. to be trained properly.”

“Um, what’s an Ingenium?” he asked. 

“That’s what we are,” the first said, looking up at him from his chair.  “It’s the term they’re using to describe us.  It means ‘talent’ in Latin.”

He nodded, seeming to finally understand.  “But what were they planning on doing with all of us when they get us?” he asked.

The guy standing beside him grinned.  “They were going to make their own little advanced army and use us as soldiers and weapons,” he said. 

“But that’s not going to happen,” he stated, seeming to understand just from the expression on his face.

“No,” he said, shaking his head, still grinning.  “And now it’s our goal to find them and make an army of our own.  Show them just who is the most powerful in this country.”

I gasped as my vision finally ended.  I was lying on the floor and looking up at the ceiling.  Well, more specifically, Owen.  He had the same worried expression on that he did when we were in this position before. 

“What happened?” he demanded. 

I shook my head, my heart still pounding.  “Project Infinity,” I said, sitting up.

“Project what?” he asked, looking confused as I stood. 

I stumbled a bit before Owen caught me and held me up.

“Project Infinity,” I said, looking up at him.  “There were these three guys.  It was the people who broke into the Secretary of Defense’s office.  Apparently the government’s been tracking all of us…Ingenium, it think is what they called us…for about twenty years now.  They’ve been doing genetic testing on every single person who was born since.”

“Ingenium?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. 

“It means ‘talent’ in Latin,” I said.  “But that’s not all they want to do with us.”

“And what do they plan on doing with us apparently?”

I shook my head.  “They’re going were going to find us all and pretty much use us as their own personal super advanced army.”

He shook his head, running a hand through his hair.  He still had one arm wrapped tightly around my waist, holding me to him.  “This is big,” he said.

I nodded.  “Yeah, really big,” I said. 

He sighed, looking around.  “And how did they plan on finding us?” he asked.

My eyes widened as in my mind flashed the code to get the list of names.  I gasped as I pushed him away from me and ran toward where I saw a laptop on top of a desk that I never noticed before.  It was already powered up so I just had to click onto the internet and I was ready to go.  

“What are you doing?” Owen asked, walking up behind me.  

Quickly, I typed in the code that I saw in my vision.  I didn’t know how it could have stayed in my head when it was as long as it was.  It took me about twenty seconds just to type it all.  

And when I pressed ‘enter’, my eyes widened at what came up.

On the screen were hundreds of names of people.  There were also dates of birth, addresses, and their power determined by the genetic testing.  It was absolutely amazing just to see how many there were like us.

“Oh, my God,” Owen said from behind me, looking down at the list of names.  

“I know,” I said.  And then I saw his name on the screen.  “Look, they have you on here!”

I turned around to see him shaking his head.  “Print this off,” he said.  “It’ll print out in the office upstairs.  And save it to the computer.  Not the internet, the computer.”

I nodded, turning back to the computer to click the print button and save it.  

“This is the only copy that they guys who stole it had.  They said that they had it launched into cyberspace where no one could find it.”

“But you did,” he said, sounding like he was in awe.

“Yeah, but I had the code to retrieve it,” I said.  I sighed.  “But what do we do now with it that we’ve got the list of names?”

Owen pushed me over a little so he could type something in really fast.  And when he pressed ‘enter’ the screen went completely blank.

“We delete it,” he said.

***Finally good to know just what Project Infinity was about, huh?  I know I am!  It took me a while just to come up with what it was going to be...but here it is!

Comment, Vote, Like!!!1***