Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Alex was standing in the middle of the street, his back facing me.  He was looking up at the stars, which were just coming out since the sun had finally set. 

I made sure Chloe and Sean were behind me.  I nodded at Chloe and she grabbed Sean’s hand before they both went invisible.

“I know you’re behind me, Lola,” Alex said, his voice calm. 

“Alex,” I said, stepping toward him. 

He looked over at his shoulder at me.  “Well, it seems you caught me,” he said, a slight smile on his face.  “I wasn’t that hard to catch, huh?  I didn’t feel like running.”

“Why?” I asked.  “Why all of this?  Why did you attack D.C. the first time?”

He turned to face me.  The clothes he was wearing didn’t have a speck of dirt or dust on them, even though we were basically in a war zone. 

“They don’t have the right to control me.  They won’t control me.”

“Who?”

“The exact same people who you’re working with now,” he said furiously, his eyes flaring.  “What do you think they’re doing with you right now?”

I shook my head.  “They’re not controlling me.  You’re the only one controlling people.  I know that’s how you have all of them with you.”

Alex smirked.  “In case you didn’t notice, I set them free a little while ago.”

“Why?”

He snorted.  “I’m just tired, Lola,” he said.  “So just go ahead and do it.  I’m going to die either way.  I’m giving up.  Either you do it or I get found guilty for the murder of thousands of people.  I’d much rather my sister do it, though.  At least I’ll be able to see you right before…”

I couldn’t help it.  Tears welled up in my eyes as he continued.

He took a deep breath.  “I wish I wasn’t like this.  But when I found out about Project Infinity…what they were going to do with us…I got angry.  It was like my anger blocked out everything else, including you.  I wish I could have been the brother that you deserved, not the one that hurt you so many times.”

“But you’re changing now,” I whispered. 

He stared right into my eyes.  “That’s not enough, though.  I wish it was, but it’s not.”

I looked at him, wishing that he wasn’t right.  I wish that he was my lovable but annoying brother again, only I knew that wouldn’t happen.  He might have been able to be that, but he wouldn’t be there.  Like he said, he was dead either way.

“I don’t want to do it,” I whispered. 

“You have to, Lola,” he said.  “For me.  Please.” 

And for the first time in months, he reached forward and hugged me.

“I love you, Lola.  After everything, that hasn’t changed.”

I closed my eyes, trying to hold my tears in.  “I love you, too.”

He pulled back then and smiled sadly.

“Do it,” he whispered.

I nodded.  “Now,” I said. 

Chloe and Sean appeared beside us then and I knew Sean had disabled Alex’s powers.  He smiled sadly at me and just looked into my eyes. 

As much as I didn’t want to do it…

I did. 

Alex’s form was engulfed in a fiery inferno.  I closed my eyes as I felt the heat lick at my skin.  It was agonizing, standing there for the few seconds that felt like hours.

And then it was over.

And there was nothing left in front of me.

Alex was gone.

I killed him.

Chloe came up in front of me and hugged me around my waist. 

Sean was beside us, looking at me with a sad smile.

Arin, Eric, and Variel were running toward us.

Trygg and the twins were right behind them.

Owen was the only one who was standing in one place, watching me.

All I could do was burst into tears.

***I'll admit, even though I hated Alex until this part, I cried...***