Chapter 14

Chapter 14

In the week since the New York City attack and Owen getting his powers back, a lot had changed…including Variel’s hair, which she was totally happy about. 

The day after Owen’s powers appeared again, we took the day off of school to explain everything to him more.  I thought his eyes were going to stay wide forever since they did that entire day.  When he saw just what everyone could do, I think he was even more surprised.  I stayed beside him for everything, though, holding his hand in mine.

Anne was the most helpful with Owen and trying to get him to control his power.  Since she was the one to help him through it the first time, she knew exactly what to do now.

I knew Adrian really didn’t like that I was with Owen, though, just by looking at him.  His eyes were always locked on our hands twined together.  It wasn’t something that he needed to be commenting on, though.  He didn’t have any say in it.

School was…interesting…to say the least.  Now that Alex showed the whole world just who he was and what he could do, everyone at school knew, too.  We got even more stares and whispers at school since they all knew he was my brother and they knew some of the people who were following him. 

I think lunch was the worst.  That was when we were all were together at one table and everyone stared at us openly.  Since Owen’s hearing was getting better like it was before, he could hear what most people were saying.

“Everyone thinks that we’re like your brother,” he said.  “They’re putting two and two together apparently.”

I turned my head from my place beside him and looked around the cafeteria.  Almost everyone’s eyes were on us. 

“The day that Secretary Duke’s men came to get you…they think that that has something to do with it.  I think they think…we’re the bad ones,” he continued. 

Variel snorted from the other side of the table.  “If only they knew…”

“But they’re not going to,” Arin said from beside her, narrowing her eyes warningly.  “We can’t have that out.”

“I’m just saying,” Variel said.  “If it was out, we wouldn’t have to hide anymore.”

“We can’t,” Arin said, shaking her head. 

I shook my head, silently telling them that this was not the time.  Especially since that was when I felt someone walk up behind me.

I turned and looked up at someone I wasn’t expecting to see. 

Michelle had been one of my best friends before I got my powers.  We tried to stay friends after, but once Owen ‘died,’ we didn’t talk anymore. 

She was dressed in her cheerleading uniform since it was Friday and there was a game that night.  But the expression on her face wasn’t one that you’d see on a cheerleader.

“Michelle?” I asked, looking up at her.  “What’s going on?”

Her eyes darted around the table.  “Can I…can I talk to you?” she asked, looking back at me.  “Alone.”

I looked around at everyone as I stood up, shrugging.  They looked a little worried. 

“Sure,” I said. 

I followed her out the cafeteria, everyone’s eyes on us. 

We headed into the gym where no one was.  The lights were off, so the only light was coming from the windows that were on the top of the walls.  Sitting down on the bottom row of the bleachers, Michelle folded her hands in her lap and stared down at them.